Main Menu

SD70m-2

Started by RJ, April 16, 2008, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

The cab style found on actual SD60M units is not the same as the style used on SD70M-2 locomotives.

ThoroughBreed

Thats what I thought also, but the cab style you get from PPW-Aline is almost like it: http://ppw-aline.com/bdrppsd60.htm
The only difference is the cab has 3 front windows instead of 2. But that I can live with, as I'm  not a rivet counter lol.
TB8)

RJ

I Took the Cab from the SD 90 and notched out the front and filled it with puddy.....Alot of sanding later and I think the cab looked good.  But it still has the slant which the -2 windshield is stright up and down.........

It would be nice if someone would make a true -2 cab.

I thought that the Body was easy....Making everything Fit  right was a BiT$%

Right now I have so many project  ;D that Im starting to get things mixed up hahahahah.  Do to the fact that Im a Firefighter I have done a bunch of Kitbashing of fire trucks, I am still working on the es40dc, a NS reaserch car, and now I am going to start a dash 9 standard cab.  I think the dash 9 will be easy,  Bachmann dash 8 standard cab and a Athearn Body... We Will see.....

I keep saying that Im going to post more Picture and I will Im waiting for the es40, then I will put then both on the site....

scooter3798

Quote from: RJ on August 01, 2008, 11:24:18 PM
now I am going to start a dash 9 standard cab.  I think the dash 9 will be easy,  Bachmann dash 8 standard cab and a Athearn Body

There was a pair of great articles on modeling these units in Railroad Model Craftsman back around 2000 I think. I'll have to look up the exact issues. They were done in I think back to back issues, and each was done by a different person, using a different approach. I want to say Cindy Winters did one of them. I know that they both used the Athearn Dash 9 for the rear end, but I think one used a Railpower B40-8 for the front end, while the other used the Bachmann C40-8 for the front.

Scooter

Michael Knight

Use a Railpower B40-8 cab. The Bachmann cab is so out of proportion, it's more trouble than it's worth. The Railpower cab would be much more detailed as well.

scooter3798

Either the Railpower front or the Atlas C40-8. If you went with the Atlas front end you could probably just follow the Bachmann article, as they would be cut pretty much the same way. Also I know that you can pick up the Atlas shells and cabs directly from their parts department pretty cheap, I think the shells are about 4 or 5 bucks and the cabs are 1 or 2.

Also for the articles they were in the July and August 2000 issues of Railroad Model Craftsman. The July article was by Mike Rose and uses the Bachmann shell. The August article was by Cindy Winters and uses the Railpower shell. If anybody is interested in the articles and doesn't have those issues let me know and I can email you scans of them.

Scooter

ThoroughBreed

I submit for your viewing, a kitbashed SD70M-2. Made from a Athearn Genesis Sd75I chassis, and shell, with a RPP SD90MAC flare kit and DB fan, and a RPP SD60M cab. The overbright pics are to show some definition of the cab nose and the radiator section, sorry, but my camera sucks:

Removed all these ugly pics

And a AC4400 converted to a ES44AC:
TB8)

RJ

I will post Pictures of the SD 70-2, ES40DC, and a slug that I built tonite, when the Girlfriends brings the cable for the camera  ;D

As for the Dash 9 stanard cab, I wil start that when I get back from the beech..........I have the body just need to get the cab.  I think that I am going to order it from A line

ns_7011

Quote from: RJ on August 05, 2008, 04:15:46 PM

I will post Pictures of the SD 70-2, ES40DC, and a slug that I built tonite, when the Girlfriends brings the cable for the camera  ;D

As for the Dash 9 stanard cab, I wil start that when I get back from the beech..........I have the body just need to get the cab.  I think that I am going to order it from A line

your best bet on the cab would be to look for a B40-8 or C40-8 shell from atlas on ebay, there's usually quite a few.

and btw "girlfriends"??? OOOOOHHHHHH  ;D ;D LOL
EMD all the way.

RJ

RJ

and some more

The 70m-2 and the GEVO

RJ

The Cab of the 70-2

Paint is alittle thick ........Just noticed that ???

RJ

Quote from: ns_7011 on August 05, 2008, 07:32:50 PM
Quote from: RJ on August 05, 2008, 04:15:46 PM

Yeah Im going to try that  Thanks

your best bet on the cab would be to look for a B40-8 or C40-8 shell from atlas on ebay, there's usually quite a few.

and btw "girlfriends"??? OOOOOHHHHHH  ;D ;D LOL

ThoroughBreed

Ok, now that I have been experimented with a newer, better camera, I will give you the last pic of the same lcoc I built.
NS SD70M-2 rd# 2651
TB8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk