Triple Crown trailers (not roadrailers) on intermodal

Started by D300, May 29, 2011, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D300

Yesterday, a Saturday, I observed a westbound single level intermodal departing Harrisburg. I noticed spread out throughout the train he had a few Triple Crown roadrailer trailers riding high on pig flats. About halfway through the train I realized some of the TC trailers were roadrailer trailers and some were NOT, rather they were straight truck trailers. The biggest give away was the lack of the tongue or coupler on the front of the trailer.

I had not noticed these non-RR Triple Crown trailers before.

Anyone know much about this? I would assume TC from time to time has to ship RRs on intermodal trains to meet service commitments. Is this common? And what does anyone know about the straight truck trailers?

D300

E.M. Bell

Did you notice if the trailers you saw where the old "Mark-1" type, that used to have the rail axle between the tandem highway tires? That design did not work well, and most of those where phased out early on. I have seen a few of those myself in regular service, and even out on the road.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

lwjabo

The bigest problems with the old Mark I was the weight. Some states would not allow them because of it. I have worked with both. The old hose couplers were also a problem as they would pop off the male couplers. So they went to the tried and true glad hand.

D300

No the non-RRs were not the old style. They were plain truck trailers. Rear wheels together.

D300

lwjabo

I think I saw some of the trailers you speak of before I retired. I mentioned it to my engineer at the time. Just made to load on tofc. I wonder if NS plans on calling all tofc and cofc triple crown?

D300

Someone loaned me the newest Railpace magazine and it mentions a little item of interest:

It shows a TC RR on a pig train and mentions due to an upturn in business TC is moving RRs on pig trains 22W/20E and 21Z/21J. It also mentions TC acquiring new conventional vans from Wabash National.

I don't consider Railpace to be a final authority so I would still like further verification. But this leads me to think my initial thoughts were on target.

mkerner

While i was working on a local shuttle run I noticed road railers stencilled 15 year age limit.Could these out of date trailers that have roadrailer coupleing gear removed to reduce weight? When I worked for Schnieder they where getting rid of thier roadrailers as they where too heavy for most loads. We also had
refrigearated  Triple Crown roadrailers show up from time to time
Michael T Kerner KC9UFC
Collinsville,IL

NSMoWandS

Someone correct me if i am wrong...
I thought all new Mark V trailers are regular trailers with the rear modified for the truck bogey. That way they can be used in roadrailer service or regular truck service.

Michael Knight

Quote from: NSMoWandS on June 25, 2011, 06:35:38 PM
Someone correct me if i am wrong...
I thought all new Mark V trailers are regular trailers with the rear modified for the truck bogey. That way they can be used in roadrailer service or regular truck service.

These things operate like regular trailers with air suspensions. However, in addition to the bogey connections being present, the frames are much stronger to withstand the trailing tonnage forces found in train service. Normal highway trailers would not withstand the draft force.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk