so hard to get a job

Started by sd40-2 hh, April 22, 2008, 09:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd40-2 hh

why is it so hard to get a job with the NS?  any one have any hits?

Michael Knight

Have you applied for a position? If so, have you been invited to an interview? Sometimes, it takes several attempts before a person is successful. Furthermore, if you're applying for a dispatcher's position, NS is only hiring people off the street with a minimum of some college experience. 

sd40-2 hh

looking for conductor.  had one interview out of four tries, but have been denied for a year now.

Michael Knight

I suggest that you keep trying. The system NS now uses is a little different than the system that was used before. In the past, the recruiting session was announced in the local newspaper and was open to all prospective candidates.

Batman

it really helps if you have someone on the inside to help you.

GP30Rider

Take a close look at the people around you that are being hired and see if you can figure it out.   

Backyard

8) Here is an informed website, that coaches perspective applicants, to learn how to "Get A Railroad Job."

Sean Martin, has a five day tryout of his training available via e-mail, as intro to his manual.

The low priced, highly practical common sense reminders, and insider information can help anyone...

Backyard/Allen

jcmark4501

As an 8 year veteran the best advice I can give is, DON'T DO IT!

There are better paying jobs with less stress and more home time than this job.

nsman18

I was hired on with NS with no college experience, took two times to get it, and I had military experience.But I found out the best way to get them to notice you is really stand out in what you have done.Me myself my decorations really had them drooling.I got a call within a week, instead of the dreaded email.On the other hand CSX now thats a very hard job to land.Even my military service meant little.I couldnt and still cant get a interview with them.Csx was listed in GI Jobs as a miltary friendly employer, but if you ask me NS is the military freindly employer.At least NS is lenient on where you live and as long as you live in or relocate with in the 1 and a half hour radius then your good.

D.Carlisle

Military expierence is a plus. But really ask yourself. Is it what you really want to do. Are you doing it because you love trains. A good friend Loved the UP, still can not figure out why... But anyway he got the job only to be layed of a month ago.  I asked him so was it what you expected, he replied no. If you are single go for it, but as some of the Old heads will tell you it is a machine at any road now. I sought employment at NS after my Military terms. I really thought it was what I wanted. I landed a job at Pomona throwing switches. Well then along came the Conrail merger. Bottom of the list, a chance for a road job was not looking good. Hearing my tummy growl was not helping either. I told them thanks for the job, the part time job that is.  I sought employment elsewhere running heaving Equipment. I recently moved to the Midwest from the N.Carolina to find that I can make up to $ 31 a hour, I found the IUOE just as good a Union as the BLET and The UTU.  I do miss knowing what could have happen, but the fact that I let that dream go to build our dream home, Get married, have a darling daughter,and a secure future, building RR right of ways, Highways, power plants, ethanol plants and anything else that a heavy Equipment operator can do made my tummy warm and full. No more bolonge sandwichs, I have often thought about running the Kansas City to St Louis route, but the pay cut to have to build back up is not worth it now.

Another thing I learned I tell people is you need to be willing to move, start of if your single it a lot easier then being married, and if you have children it is much harder. Thou in the eyes of the corporate world a single man is less settled than a married man. But sometime I really think this is the wrong philosphy to use.

If one really wants something they will get it, I think the saying was 99% effort 1% work.

Good luck to those that go for it, and those that are there keep em pull'n.

D.Carlisle

nsdtk

Until this slump in the economy changes theres not going to be very many jobs my one here and there.Almost every division has people layed off.

PS Please dont shoot the messenger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk