Bill Purdie- Master Mechanic- Steam Engines

Started by JCagle, July 23, 2010, 03:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCagle

This morning I received an email forwarded from Donald Purdie the Bill passed away peacefully about 8:25 PM last night. Details of arrangements are still pending.

A lot of steam knowledge went with him. Thanks for all the memories you made possible Bill!
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Backyard

8) I met Mr. Purdie at a layout being built in East Point, GA back in the 90's, he was with Mrs. Sarah, his wife.

The ole' Hogger had a brass UP Big Boy & wanted to run it on the layout, but the radius on the curves was to tight...I went back to watch the engine enter the curve as he tested it...you can imagine having to tell him his tender was riding the ties...!  Working with him for those short moments was something I'll never forget, makes me thankful I have payed attention to my mentors.

Mrs. Sarah & Mr. Purdie were the most friendly people!

She told me all about her trip with Bill to South Africa & how much she enjoyed riding & visiting the steam facilities because it was like going back in time...

That was in early 1993...She passed on March 13, the Friday night of the terrible Storm of '93.

Mr. Purdie called the #4501 locomotive Sarah's engine.  He requested #4501 be painted black shortly after she passed.
Backyard/Allen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk