Headed for Conrail country

Started by E.M. Bell, June 20, 2010, 01:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Carmon and myself are getting ready to leave early next week for a few days of R&R up in PA and WV. A coupel of days shooting the NS between Altoona and Johnstown PA then down to the WV railfest thing.  We are looking forward to staying at the Tunnel Inn at Galitzen PA. We have never tried that place yet, and will let everyone know how it is. The location is certainly good!  

Maybe just maybe this time I can get lucky and shoot some of the 80macs that stay in that area. Every time I have been up that way, they seem to disappear. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Dave1551

We took just about the same route several yrs ago one wk. each year for 2 years. We started in Catawissa Pa. slept in a caboose for several days.  We had a ball the caboose would sleep 4 had HVAC ,TV, microwave, coffee pot , knotty pine, old D&H RR . We hit Steamtown , PRR museum ,Cass RR , Thurmond WVA. , New River & Amtraks Cardinal  and quite a few other places. Shot 13 rolls of film. There are so many things to do ,Catawissa had no chain stores ( CVS, McDonalds and Etc. ) it was nice , great food all truly home  made .  We keep in touch with Walt , owner ,of the cabooses. He will tell you what it really costs to mave a caboose.
                               Have a great time
                               Dave & Sue  Gardner

MP15NUT

since you are almost there, if I were you I would try and visit Conway Yard, North/Northwest of Pittsburgh.  The only probelm is that it is right next to the road, with very little pull off areas to take photos. 
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

E.M. Bell

Quote from: troy12n on June 22, 2010, 09:49:39 PM
Newsflash, conrail has not existed in 13 years, why dont you refer to the territory by its proper owner's name

Newsflash!!  I pay the bills around here to keep this place running, and I will call it any dam thing I want..Conrail, PC, Pennsy, West slope, The Pitt Div...its all good, because that is what it is...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

tq-07fan

Quote from: E.M. Bell on June 22, 2010, 10:43:59 PM
Quote from: troy12n on June 22, 2010, 09:49:39 PM
Newsflash, conrail has not existed in 13 years, why don't you refer to the territory by its proper owner's name

Newsflash!!  I pay the bills around here to keep this place running, and I will call it any dam thing I want..Conrail, PC, Pennsy, West slope, The Pitt Div...its all good, because that is what it is...

Well put. I still refer to the Norfolk Southern Dayton District as the Conrail. It works for me, it works for most railfans, it even works for many non-railfans. If you say Conrail then add Galitzen Pennsylvania most railfans know exactly what and where you mean. The Conrail is fondly remembered around Pennsylvania not that Norfolk Southern is thought of in a bad way there.

troy12n, If you go down to Texas and correct someone for calling the Southern Pacific Southern Pacific instead of Union Pacific you may not come back alive. Of course Southern Pacific will always be Southern Pacific to me too.

Emmit have fun on your Conrail trip. I remember the days around July 4th 1996 when I got to run a Sperry Rail Service car across Horseshoe Curve and watching the foamers running around like a heard trying to get my picture. I wonder if it was because I was such a Superstud or because of the Detector Car?

Jim

steveiez

It will always be the PRR or Pennsy. PRR was the one whom invented modern railroading. CONRAIL did a good job and I'm sure NS will too.
Steve

Badhorse79

I hate Pennsy love Norfolk Southern reasons are personal as to why.... I love New York Central but not to much into CSX? I love  TRAINS but not that stuff from England that's all!!! not where they came from nor who's better! it's my hobby to enjoyAm I wrong .....!?NEWSFLASH "just enjoy the hobby" quit complaining about it.... EM thanks for puttin up this site we all know what and who you are and respect that! Next time PM that Troy guy and take out the post cause look at what it does quit boasting about it publicly?  Go and enjoy your well deserved vacation in EX Conrail country sorry politicly correct it's  EX Conrail or Ex Pennsy! Come back and post some awsome pics as you always do and keep up the awsome WEBSITE I enjoyed because I love this TRAINS 
Thank you
Eric 

NSMoWandS

Call it Conrail, Pennsy, PC, NS... Trains are trains... I do not like UP... but if I am in Texas and see a UP train... I am NOT going to turn my back and walk away. I really do not know ant railfans that would.

NS145

Not to stir up the "tempest in a tea kettle" more, but Conrail does in fact still exist as a separate company operating the Shared Asset areas in northern New Jersey, Philadelphia/southern New Jersey, and Detroit for NS and CSX.  Check out: http://www.conrail.com for more info.

NW: There's No Stopping Us!

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

speaking of conrail, this most recent OCS  move reminds me of something, didnt conrail have some E units at one time?  whatever became of those?  I know they had a bunch of F's way back when but seems like they had a couple E's for their business train way into the 90's.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

E.M. Bell

CR had Three of them for OCS service. Two are now owned by Bennett Levin, and fully restored and backdated into the correct PRR scheme. They run trips on occasion with them, even over the NS.

The Third unit restored and painted Erie, although I dont recall where or who has it.. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk