Out and about on the First Sunday of Spring...

Started by E.M. Bell, March 22, 2009, 09:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

Josh Young and myself headed out around 11am this morning 03/22/09 to try out this new Spring weather. The weather was perfect, lots of sun, a few puffy clouds, and the NS was fixing to get busy.  I loaded up the new camera for its first "real" trip out....here we go.... The higher res versions of the images can be found at my Pbase gallery here  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/2009_rail_photography

Having heard a 111 coming East on the Louisville district, we headed towards Waddy (Kentucky) in a expedited fashion.  The sun was perfect, the 111 has a pair of EMD's on the point, and we soon found ourselves at the East of the siding. Still learning the ins and outs of the new camera, I somehow pushed a button or talked to it wrong or something while trying out some of the auto shooting modes, and completely and totally hosed the first shot of the day...excellent.   Perhaps Josh can show you this shot..as mine will never see the light of day.  What a way to start the day off.....

We followed the 111 East, and finally caught up with him at Vanarsdale. I had been wanting to try this shot out for awhile, and my timing could have been a tad better, but here ya go..

111 Went in the hole at Talmage to meet a 287.  Up first is 287 at East Talmage, followed by the 111 pulling out of the siding. By this time I had went back to my old ways..shooting on total manual, and it seemed to be working better. 

We got ahead of 111 again and set up for a perfect lit, killer shot in downtown Harrodsburg (KY).  Somehow, I didnt sweet talk the camera again, and yes...hosed it.. I wont be showing ya that one, Josh, it's all up to you on this one!   We had heard a 215 over on the CNO&TP and made a dash for North Wye to shoot him. This time, I seem to have got it right...figures, it had a catfish leading. 

After a quick bite of lunch at Danville, it was after the 111 for one more shot. We got him at Bowen on the 2nd District of the CNO&TP.  Take note of the luckiest dog in Boyle County...at least for today.

While at Bowen, a Northbound 160 had passed us, coming straight out of the sun. With nothing running on the CS for awhile, we went back to Harrodsburg on the Louisville district to shoot him. After a rather quick crew change and fuel stop at Danville, we shoot at him at my old standby location at Town Branch. 

The 160 and 224 the was following both had some delay at Talmage to meet a 23G.  We headed for my "signature"  LS shot at Vanarsdale for the 23G.

Following the 160 on West , we shoot him one more time at the Lawrenceburg Cemetery.

160 and 224 met the Eastbound 285 at Coal Chute Siding, just West of Lawrenceburg KY.  Our last shot of the day was the 285 passing the power for local T19 at Lawrenceburg as the clouds moved in..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

TM3358

Ronson2k3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk