NS GP59 4611 working in Des Moines,Iowa

Started by nssd70, March 01, 2009, 02:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nssd70

I caught NS GP59 4611 working Glake Yard in Des Moines yesterday.

Doug

ssmith1627

Trans Caer ?   That's a new one to me.   Can you shed any light on it ?

Steve

nssd70

Only thing I know is 4611 is the only locomotive with the Transcaer logo.http://www.transcaer.com/ Here's a link to Transcaer's website.

Doug

NSDash9

TRANSCAER (TRANSportation Community Awareness Emergency Response) is a national group that promotes the safe handling of hazardous materials and helps communities to prepare in the event of a hazmat incident.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

TM3358

It looks to have a unibrow but no horse head?

nssd70

Yeah,I noticed the same thing. Maybe they didn't have the small logo at the shops where it got the unibrow?!

Doug

NSDash9

The 4611 was originally repainted into the special Transcaer scheme in 1994.  The Transcaer logo at that time was white.

The 4611 was repainted again in 2002, but with the TRANCAER logo applied differently.  The TRANCAER logo is now in blue and is applied over a white rectangle on the engine compartment of the locomotive.  The unit also received white broken diagonal frame stripes during this repainting.

In 2005, the area around the numberboards was painted white and the unit received solid white reflective frame striping in place of the previous broken diagonal frame striping.

Chris
Chris R. Toth

NS_Chicago

Cool I'll be in Des Moines the end of the month, on  a layover. I have the 4610 Southern Heritage Unit in HO scale. I've been tracking around Chicago trying to catch these units.. Thanks for the photo!

ssw9662

Nice catch! I didn't know NS still ran into Des Moines. Do they own any track there or do they just have trackage/haulage rights on BNSF?

nssd70

BNSF runs the road trains and Norfolk Southern does all the switching. NS switches  on both former BN and former N&W track.

Doug

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk