Main Menu

Scenery

Started by thpbears, January 15, 2013, 08:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thpbears

Guys give me the pros and cons if you have any on making scenery out of screen wire vs cardboard as far as mountains are concerned.

Badhorse79

I would have to say cost!  And card board to me would be a little easier to work with!  Thats my opinion though i just ball.up old newspapers and tape to shape then plaster cloth over top!  Some modelers dip paper towels in plaster and use it that way too!

NSMoWandS

That depends on how many "Band-Aids" you have. LOL! I used screen in the first layout I ever started... had to wear gloves and be careful. Now, I would use a balsa-wood frame with plastercloth... Hope this helps. Dan

thpbears

Thanks guys. Still packing but trying to get the future layout planning done.

Badhorse79

Any drarwings yet?  Yes i spelled it that way on poypus

thpbears

Still waiting on the actual floorplan. I think maybe a W shape and maybe around the wall with a center yard. I am getting so excited. My 9 year old can now help so it should be a blast. I knw for certain and going to have a good section of track with alot of MOW stuff around maybe like they are constuctin a double track. That should look pretty nice.

Ladderpipe

Have you considered the foam insulation board? It's lightweight and easy to carve to whatever shape you desire

NSMoWandS

A "neat" little scene would be "adding length to a siding". Just continue ballast past the original cut in, and maybe have some ties laid out ready for rail with stacks of ties on the edge of the right of way further down the ballast. Just food for thought. Dan

thpbears

I used foam in the curves n my last layout and got fairly nice results. The next layout I am wanting some big mountains. Dan I have thought of that idea really I have.I am going to try that. I have decaled a few mow trucks from boley so they will look nice there. Of course you all ever get down this way you are always welcome to come in and run some trains.

NSMoWandS

Great minds! Right?  :D I am thinking about making an area on the mainline that will have removable rail sections so I can model a rail replacement or tie replacement scene for photos or open house... and then be able to put them back and have reliable operation. Patent Pending/Trademarked!  ;) Dan

dschlegel

For mountains I have used screening and balled up newspaper taped down with plaster cloth laid over. For me it depends on how big the hill is as to whether or not I use screen.

In this pic the mountain in the back is screen while the little jumps in the foreground are paper. I think the key for me is once the plaster cloth is dry I dip my hand into a bucket of spackle and smooth it over the plaster clothe to hide seems and holes.

thpbears

And another question like in this pic how did you get that elevated track in on the side of the mountain? I have been thinking of using woodland scenic risers.I have a slight elevation on the old layout but heavy engines like a Kato bottom out and of course couplers come unhooked.

dschlegel

For the elevated tracks I used 1/4" marine plywood that I cut with a jig saw into shape, and that is supported by pieces of 2x3 or 2x4 I had laying around and cut.

Beneath the scenery it is an ugly mess, but its pretty solid and from the outside you can't tell.

One other note, don't buy the woodland scenics plaster cloth, go to a craft store like Michaels or AC Moore and get their stuff, it's way less expensive.

dschlegel

As far as engines bottoming out, I did have some problems before scenery but spent a lot of time making the grade transitions gentler. This is N scale here so I didn't need as much room as on an HO layout to put grades in.

thpbears

That is a nice looking layout. Thanks for the tip on plaster clost. Last time I looked at the woodland scenics it was like 10-14 a roll. I thought for all I will need I could almost buy all the heritage units. I like N-scale and you can run some coal trains with alot of hoppers but as I get older my eyes are fading.

dschlegel

I think at the craft stores rolls of the plaster cloth are about half that cost. I have when times were a little tough also used watered down leftover spackle and dipped paper towels in it for mountains. Looks just as good once landscaped.

Thanks for the compliment.

dschlegel

Here is another critical consumable that's required for scenery, lightweight spackling paste. I use it all over the place but have found it especially useful for making crossings. I use a 1.5" puddy knife to smear it over the rails and to create the aprons, then use it to cut flange ways. Once dried (at least a day later) it cuts real easy with a pocket knife. Paint it black and clean the rails and you've got a fairly nice crossing.
First photo is a crossing in progress, second is one I did a month ago.

thpbears

Nice tip. My crossings were kind of rough. Reminds me of some CSX crossings here. Just kidding Dan. ;)

NSMoWandS

Don't know what you are talking about? My crossings are concrete pads... and smooth!!! LOL! Dan

dschlegel

That is one sweet looking crossing and layout! I dig the 93 Chevy Caprice police car!

NSMoWandS

Thanks! Yours is coming along nicely. Sweet little spot to pull off between your crossings to watch some trains! Dan

thpbears

That is a sweet crossing. You sure that isn't a NS track ? Just kidding. It is very nice.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk