Burnside 10-24-2011

Started by Ed Fury, October 25, 2011, 03:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Fury

My first trip to the CNO&TP and my first catch at Burnside was 3 UP engines on a grainer.

Clouds moved in and I was sort of chased off by the police so I went to Cumberland Falls to see it for the first time. The clouds moved out and I caught another Northbound right before the sunlight faded.

On the way out of Louisville I caught NS 9978 at Waddy leading NS 60A. This is the last dash9 built for NS.

Getting tired of being questioned every time I try to photograph a train. Apparently that bridge at Burnside gets a lot of jumpers so they have to do welfare checks if someone is on the bridge??

Rnhatch

That second bridge shot is sweet!  Any clue what's under the white shrink wrap in car 2?

Ed Fury

Quote from: Rnhatch on October 25, 2011, 07:30:51 AM
That second bridge shot is sweet!  Any clue what's under the white shrink wrap in car 2?

Thanks.

This is about as clear and close as I can get. That white cover and the sunlight don't mix well.

thpbears

I understand the Police have to investigate if their dispatcher calls them and that is after someone calls the Police. But you would think that a person driving by would see you holding a camara and not call the Police thinking you were going to jump. Anyways nice shots.

JS_IN_KY

Ed,  Where did you shoot those pictures in Burnside from?   The auto bridge over the river?

John

Ed Fury

Yes. We parked at the church and walked over there to take a look at the bridge from the highway overpass. As soon as I got to the top of the hill I saw a yellow UP engine going North so I took off running to get a shot without all the trees on the south side of the bank in the way. The train parked on the bridge so I figured a Southbound was going to go around. It was about this time the police showed up.

It looked like that train was on the outside track so we figured that a Southbound train wouldn't add much to the shot and we split.

On the way back it was about the same. We had seen a train South of Burnside and took a chance it would arrive quickly before the police were called again. It was moving a lot faster and from when I saw it south of the bridge approach to when I got the photo it was more then halfway across and I couldn't clear the trees on the south bank of the river.

I've seen photos from above the bridge on the North side of the river. Can someone tell me how to get up there? I assume there is a road and then a hike at the end of the road to get on top of the hill.

JS_IN_KY

I'm also curious about how to get to the north side.  One day I drove back on the road that goes to the power plant but every road we turned on was gated.  It started raining so hard I could hardly see so I wasn't able to more exploring.   
Ed, did the police run you off the bridge?
John

E.M. Bell

Ed, I swear I dont know what it is with you and the cops..you need to cut your hair or wear a suit railfanning or something :)

The "overlook" up on the bluff on the North side is pretty much inaccessible now, Before all the road work and that new interchange with 1247 was put in, you could simply park just north of the bridge, and take a nice hike up the well work path through the woods and up on the bluff. Now, the new road has left us with no place to park, and a fence that runs for dam near a mile from the end of the bridge, all the way up to the end of the ramp from 27 to 1247.

Shooting from the highway bridge is the next best thing, and not all that hard. We usually just hang out in a parking lot there at the DG or down by the church, and when a train is close on the radio, pull up there on the bridge and park. The last time we where there a few weeks ago, all the cops did was wave..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ed Fury

I go to the barber shop and tell the girl to put a No. 1 guard on the razor.. 1/8" and pretend she is mowing the grass.. It can't be my hair. I really don't have any.

I've always been a cop magnet though. I can't explain it. I swear I could be walking my dog along the sidewalk and have a cop pull up and ask me what I am doing.

The cop at Burnside didn't exactly tell us to leave but he made it clear it would be in our best interest to exit the bridge as soon as possible.

I think I am going to try and go back tomorrow. If you don't see me post for a while I guess that means they threw me in jail.

Ed Fury

I'd like to add that all 15-25 of the school buses that passed by had kids yelling out the window "JUUUUUMMMMPPPPP" while we were on the bridge and it also shakes like jello when a semi truck full of logs goes over. If you dislike heights and get motion sickness that bridge is definitely not for you.

E.M. Bell

Well, if you go to jail down there, look on the bright side...I hear the Pulaski County Detention center serves an awesome pepper steak for supper on Saturday night!
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ed Fury

Quote from: E.M. Bell on October 29, 2011, 12:21:47 AM
Well, if you go to jail down there, look on the bright side...I hear the Pulaski County Detention center serves an awesome pepper steak for supper on Saturday night!

Sounds better then the green colored bologna sandwiches here in Jefferson County. 3 hots and a cot and I bet they have cable TV too.

thpbears

If they do arrest you at least beg to use the computer so you can upload some pics for us. ;D

Ed Fury

No Burnside today. I feel like I swallowed a pack of razor blades and I'm hacking up my lungs..

Nice sunshine and peak fall colors too. Figures.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk