The NS Steam Program--the 20th Century Version

Started by Ponce de Leon, March 24, 2013, 11:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponce de Leon

I was scanning a few slides this afternoon for posting on Rail Pictures. These two might be of interest. The cab shot shows N&W engineer Jack Taylor at the throttle of 1218 in 1989. I rode the cab westbound on this Bristol to Morristown run (I got off at Bulls Gap).

The other shot is from late April 1992, and it shows 611 coming into Glade Spring, VA with a ferry run from Roanoke to Bristol. She certainly looked graceful coming around that curve.
Ron Flanary

chipallen16

I love the color in those shots, Ron! Moist mornings are great times to shoot.

-Chip  :)

Ponce de Leon

Quote from: trainkid16 on March 25, 2013, 08:23:05 AM
I love the color in those shots, Ron! Moist mornings are great times to shoot.

Yes sir! The best and most memorable train photos are always taken under the worst weather conditions (not full sun--although those aren't too bad either).
Ron Flanary

JHood4501

As always, great stuff Ron! And Chip and I should know all about shooting in bad conditions (maybe too well).
Jordan Hood

chipallen16

Considering I'm the one that drags you out into the bad conditions, I'd hope you know about it! That's the nice thing about video- I get sound.  :P

JHood4501

Quote from: trainkid16 on March 25, 2013, 08:02:51 PM
That's the nice thing about video- I get sound.  :P

And it's a good thing, too. Since you can't see the train when there's rain on the camera :P
Jordan Hood

Ponce de Leon

The qualifies as "NS" since it's a former NKP engine---but this is the epitome of shooting in crummy weather. This is southbound on CSX's KD Sub at Lafollette Junction, TN. It was nearly dark, and really, really overcast. I did a pan shot here, since that was about all I could handle with Kodachrome 64. It's not technically perfect---but it does illustrate (no pun intend) my point about shooting in bad conditions. A sunny day, side-lit shot here would have been nice....but not memorable.
Ron Flanary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk