NS pulley style signals

Started by D300, October 17, 2009, 12:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D300

A large number of signals have been installed on many parts of NS that are on a square base (or pole if you will) that lack a ladder. In the base of the signal is a mechanism that lowers the signal head to the ground for maintenance such as bulb changes.

Along the way I have talked to a couple of signal maintainers about these signals. The first discussion was they did not like them as they had to get track and time to take the signal out of the field of view of the train by lowering the head. On standard signals a maintainer could climb the signal and replace the bulb in about 5-10 minutes, vs. having to raise the often busy DS, wait until no trains were coming and copy the track and time ( now TA), lower the signal, change the bulb and then do everything in reverse. One signal maintainer told me once the idea was to get bucket trucks for maintainers. At the time that seemed like an idea that was more wish than fact and I have noticed I have never seen a regular local maintainer driving a bucket truck.

These signals as far as I know have never been duplicated on other roads.

Are these things still being installed new or have the "OSHA cage" (enclosed ladder) signals replaced them completely?

While I have seen maintainers replace bulbs often on the standard signals, by luck of the draw, I have never encountered one working on the pulley style signals. Anyone got any photo of one of these lowered to the ground?

Lastly I heard from a source that I can't vouch for his level of knowledge, that these pulley signals may now be out of favor on NS.

nsdtk

I know the one signal guy i see ofen has a bucket and hirail kit on his truck.

D300

Very interesting news. May I ask what city and state the maintainer is located in or near?

What about other members: do you see signal maintainers with bucket trucks?

lwjabo

Need to add the rails are not covered by OSHA. When OSHA first started they tried to enter rail yards and were sent packing. Everything is covered by the FRA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk