Vintage GE B23-7s in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, November 26, 2010, 05:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

The Finger Lakes Railway is an interesting shortline that operates former NYC, PRR and LV tracks in upstate NY. Although it was an all EMD operation when FGLK took over the "Geneva Cluster" from Conrail in 1995, GE locomotives began to show up around 1999. Today, FGLK has 9 active GEs, including 8 B23-7s. Several came from NS predecessors and I will be sharing them with you.

FGLK's #2301 is an ex-Conrail B23-7 that arrived in 1999. I caught her leading a westbound excursion a few years ago.

Photo taken by me Saturday 5/18/2008 in Auburn, NY. The B23-7 was built as Conrail #1979 in... 1979. I may have ssome old (read: traditional film) shots of her at CR's Goodman Street yard in Rochester dur8ing the '90s. I'll scan one of those pics if I can find #1979 in it.   
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The Finger Lakes Railway operates most of their excursions "pull pull" style- with a locomotive at each end. Thus #2304 made a very interesting FRED when I caught her on an eastbound excursion last year.

Photo taken by me Saturday 10/25/2009 in Victor, NY. Number 2304 began life as #4016 for the Southern in 1981, complete with a high nose. The nose was chopped by the Great Miami RR well before #2304 arrived at FGLK in 2004.   
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

I saw two other B23-7s in Victor that day. A former L&N/P&W unit was leading the eastbound excursions, while #2301 was being used as part of a practice train for local fire departments.

Photo taken by me Saturday 10/24/2009 in Victor, NY.

Matt L

In much colder weather, FGLK #2305 leads an excursion on a hill overlooking Seneca Lake.

Photo taken by me Saturday 12/22/2007 in Glenora, NY. This B23-7 began life a Southern #3980 in 1979, also with a high nose. RMDI chopped her nose in the '90s and FGLK bought her about 6-7 years ago.

Matt L

The Finger Lakes Railway is much more than an excursion operation. The RR is also a very successful freight operation, which is why it has been buying up B23-7s (and a GE U23B). This particular B23-7 arrived at FGLK last year but the locomotive has been so busy that the shop crews haven't able to repaint her yet! When I caught up with #2308 6 weeks ago, she was switching the industries in the city where the Finger Lakes Railway has its headquarters.

Photo taken by me Friday 10/15/2010 in Geneva, NY. She was built as Southern #4008 in 1981, again with a high hood. I'm not sure when the hood was chopped. NS sold her to Camas Prairie Railnet in 1999 and she also spent a brief period with OmniTrax before coming to FGLK about 18 months ago.  

Matt L

I would also like to give credit where it is due. While the pictures in this thread are mine, the locomotive history comes from http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/FGLK/ -a website created by my fellow railfan Scot Lawrence aka ScottyChaos. His website includes information on the entire Finger Lakes Railway locomotive fleet, as well as other FGLK equipment and the history of the lines operated by FGLK. If you are interested in shortlines, it is definitely worth your time. Enjoy!!! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk