Bellevue Ohio Railroad museum to be rededicated

Started by NS Newsfeed, June 02, 2008, 09:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS Newsfeed

The Mad River and NKP Railroad Museum in Bellevue will be rededicated to the memory of the late William H. (Bill) Fuehring, 1 p.m., June 21 at Southwest St., just about two blocks south of Ohio 20 in downtown Bellevue. This museum was originally dedicated as a lasting Bicentennial Project, June 25, 1976.
Advertisement

Since that time, it has grown to become the largest railroad museum in the state of Ohio. It continues to grow and prosper under the guidance of the present generation grooming the next generation to be passed on to succeeding generations. The Mad River and NKP Railroad Museum, along with other Bellevue area attractions has made Bellevue a tourism destination adjacent to the Lake Erie attractions.

Fuehring was one of the primary founders of this museum, he was a dreamer, refusing to believe anything was impossible when it came to obtaining and preserving the history and lore of railroading for all to enjoy.

After Fuehring's passing in Oct. 2006, the officers and board of directors dedicated to honor his memory and devotion to the museum with this dedication.

The public is invited to attend and admission will be waved.

To assist in making this celebration a special success, Norfolk Southern Corporation will have on hand a Business Car Train complete with recently refurbished and rare, vintage, special service F series diesel locomotives as motive power to participate in the reenactment of the original dedication which took place almost to the day, 32 years ago.

On hand as the main speaker will be Railway's Age "Railroader of the Year", NS Vice Chairman and Chief Operating Officer, Mr. Steven C. Tobias who was Bellevue Terminal Assistant Superintendent in 1976 and will thus demonstrate continuity and the continuing support this museum receives from NS well into the fourth decade of it's existence. Various other dignitaries will also be participating and following the ceremony musical entertainment will be provided by Steve Jeffris from Indianapolis, a friend to Bill and the museum.

The Mad River and NKP Railroad Society is a non-profit, public-supported organization which owns and operated this hands-on museum where you can view and learn about many facets of railroad history.

Bellevue Kid

If I'm not working on the 21st, I'll be at the dedication. I volunteered at that museum for a few summers when I was 14, 15 and 16. I remember Bill pretty well, as he was one of the guys who I learned a lot from, both about the museum and about the history of railroading in general.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk