Beauty & The Beast...

Started by Tweetsiefireman, September 30, 2006, 11:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweetsiefireman

Finally paid a visit to the Virginia Transportation Museum and O. Winston Link Museum in Roanoke, Virginia today. Both highly recomended. Link Museum is really nice and has alot of Links greatest work and the magic that went on behind the scenes to bring us the fantastic images. VTM has alot of vintage equipment in their Railyard, including N&W J Class 611 and N&W Class A 1218. Enough said. Go pay both of these places a visit. Pictures just uploaded to http://jreb.org/v-web/gallery/NCSteamfan   check them out.

Bart

Knothead

Thats some nice stuff there.  I always enjoy a visit to the musem..what a great bunchof guys. I have been in the cab of the 611, but how did you get into the cab of 1218? They always keep it blocked off, and I was told no the one time I asked.

E.M. Bell

Sad to see them stuffed and mounted..October always meant falls colors and steam in the mountains..
Now all we have is pictures and memories..not steam..

Southbound on the CNO&TP at Kings Mountain KY, 1991..whole train on the hill and she is not even working hard..

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Tweetsiefireman

Quote from: Knothead on September 30, 2006, 11:41:03 PM
Thats some nice stuff there.  I always enjoy a visit to the musem..what a great bunchof guys. I have been in the cab of the 611, but how did you get into the cab of 1218? They always keep it blocked off, and I was told no the one time I asked.

Knothead,
We kinda did something we were not supposed to do. Stepped over the rope and climbed in the cab......no one saw us do it until we got down and by then it was too late. I dont care for the plexiglass in the J's cab, you really cannot see inside with the glare. 1218 has no plexiglass and is really nice to step up into, engineers seat is also very comfortable :) I am bad about doing things like that, but I cant help myself, I wanted to see the cab. Did the same thing on 4501 at TVRM.

EB,
Nice picture of the J. Would be fantastic to see the fall color from behind it but no such luck.....november will mark 12 years of no steam on NS. NS really stands for "NoSteam"  I guess we can be thankful that they were at least saved from the scrappers torch.

JCagle

Well the woman at the office said that most of the stuff that was available for boarding had an orange step in front of it and when I was by it there were no ropes.  Everything else had a sign that said do not climb on it. I just assumed that the step had been moved when I boarded.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Tweetsiefireman

You are full of it Jason :) We paid our money and we got to see what we wanted to see. Im just glad those moronic kids didnt try to climb in that thing and get killed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk