N&W 1151, Once lost, but now found and safe

Started by E.M. Bell, August 28, 2011, 06:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

While moving some image files around to make some room, I stumbled across a bunch of files I shot back in February of this year in Roanoke Va. Its usually not like me to forget such things (Birthdays & anniversaries maybe..but not pictures)....anyway..

I spent the afternoon processing a few of them, and this first batch is of a subject well known to the followers of N&W steam.  N&W #1151, a class M2c built by the N&W in Roanoke, was once a workhorse that  serveded  the N&W for decades. While always overshadowed by the bigger engines in the fleet, these smaller 4-8-0's held down jobs from working in the yard to moving freight and even passengers. The 1151 was sold to a scrapyard in Roanoke when it was finally removed from service, and by chance, or perhaps even fate, escaped the torch. It spent years sitting on a siding, along with several over locomotives, rusting away, being robbed of parts, and covered in dense vegitation. These where known as the "lost engines of Roanoke", and had gained what was almost a cult following, for those that knew about them.

Fate once again came into play for the lost engines, and in 2009, the 1151 and her sisters where removed from what was supposed to have been their final resting place, and dispersed to several museums and historical organizations. The 1151 was moved to the back lot of the Virginia Transportaion museum in Roanoke, and hopefully will be cosmetically restored.  For now, she sets next to the NS mainline, safe from the torch, but slowly rusting away.

If you want a more detailed look, check this link.  http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/gallery/shorts11

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Kentucky & Indiana Terminal RR

Neat stuff there Mr Bell, the N&W had some killer looking steam engines, even rust can't hide that.
"The engineer in the old high cab his gold watch in his hand, looking at the waterglass and letting down the sand, rolling out on the old main line taking up the slack, gone today so they say but tomorrow he'll be back...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk