Elmore,WV

Started by Ptrainman, June 21, 2011, 12:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptrainman

Not sure if I am putting this in the right place, but here it goes. I have a couple questions regarding the Elmore,WV area. From what I understand the PGNX coal trains that come my way for Hyco and Mayo originate there, is that true? Is there a large mine or a processing plant there? Do crews come on duty at Elmore or come on duty at Bluefield and taxi to Elmore? And last, for anyone with access to NS Crewcall, do trains that leave Elmore show leaving the Elmore address or show leaving the Bluefield address of 10354 and what is the address for Elmore?

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

D300

I can answer some of your questions. Elmore is a yard and at one time an engine terminal. No mine or prep plat is directly in Elmore. Those are accessed in a number of directions north and west of Elmore.

Crews are based (or were based there at the time of my last visit) and work locally. One coal train moving south requires two moves to get to the top of the mountain. As such are operated with headend and pusher power as Hill Runs up to the top of the mountain with about half the train. On the second run the headend power stays on and the helper returns. Later a crew is called to taxi to the train and take it to Roanoke.

I can't say for certain any more if the crews are home based at Elmore (I think they are due to other routes being operated out of Elmore) or away based. It is possible hill runs are Elmore based and road runs to Roanoke are Roanoke based. I need more info to answer this for you.

After my last visit the tracks around the old shop, called the motor barn are reported to have be removed.

Ptrainman

Thanks D300, that helps some. The PGNX trains that come my way, from what I have heard, originate there then come to Roanoke and on my way. That is why I was wondering if they were loaded at Elmore or the over the road 762-774 symbol just started there.

Paul
KK4KQX

Ron_Stafford

Not to fear...Elmore is still home to plenty of crews. Hill Runs (mentioned previously), River Runs (westbound to the Guyandot River Branch) and P-D Runs (to Deepwater). Plus you have locals up the Winding Gulf and Stone Coal Branch's (to East Gulf) and soon to be runs to the new Affinity Mine which is much farther up the Winding Gulf (near Pemberton).

As such, there's something always going on somewhere...you may have to look for it on a slow day, but it's there.

Ron S.

Ptrainman

I was not planning on heading up that way anytime soon, though I may. I was just wondering about the PGNX coal trains and if there was a mine or prep plant up there. I may visit WV sometime later this year and now that I have some info about Elmore I may have to put it on the list.

Thanks,
Paul
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk