Cowan tunnel & Heartland Corridor ribbon cutting 9/9

Started by Coal and Coke, September 06, 2010, 07:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coal and Coke

The ribbon cutting ceremony/event is taking place Sept. 9 either at or very near the Cowan tunnel outside of Radford. The first revenue double stack will run west. Interestingly not much has leaked out of NS about this very private and by special invitation only event & lunch. I do know the Lawmen band will be there. I am speculating though, how they're going to get their guests to the site. I understand the actual tunnel has no easy access, although I don't actually know. Never worked east of the Buchanan branch. And I do know motor coaches will be transporting guests from Roanoke and Christiansburg. Any word on the street on this. It's been an interesting engineering project to follow since the original initiative study from Marshall U.
I have found out since my post on Trainorders last week (supposedly)  the OCS will bring NS officials to the event and possibly be placed out of the way on the arsenal tracks for the first westbound double to pass, as it is single track and over 3,000 ft. long. The eastern portal is entered right off a bridge over the river. Any rumors or fact over here on jreb?
Rich   

Fly Device

Thanks for the info. The west portal of the tunnel would be fairly easy to access by auto. However, the last leg is down a gated access road and the portal area isn't be observable by the public due to the lay of the land. It would be probably 30 minutes of driving time from Radford or Christiansburg.
- Matt
Trackside at 45.9, Piedmont Division

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk