Tunnels and such......

Started by ssmith1627, January 17, 2010, 02:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssmith1627

I found this old thread from 2005 talking about the history of the CNO&TP, the tunnels, bridges, etc.   That truly was amazing.  I started searching because I saw the old pier / abuttment (?) to the left of the Hwy 27 bridge there at Burnside.  It looked like a tunnel just beyond it and clearly these pics confirm that.

Not all the pics load -- is there a way to get that re-instated ?  I'd love to see the rest !

http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=91.0

The amount of knowledge is awesome and you guys have done some real exploring.  Are you available as tour guides ??   It's amazing what is out there to re-discover.

Steve

E.M. Bell

Steve, if its the CS tunnels you want to see, contact Butch.  He is THE tunnel man around here.  I don think there is a hole that Butch hasnt been in.. 

Everyone concentrates on the modern day RR, which is interesting in its own way...but the history, and what is still left out there is mindbogling. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ssmith1627

I agree completely.  I think because the more you dig into the history of railroading, the more you see how intertwined it is with everything else. 

Steve

lwjabo

For the good folks down in NW Georgia there are two old tunnels at braswell just south of Rockmart. One was the Southern and the other was the Seaboard. Southern had another tunnel but they cut it open to make fill way back in the 1920s I was told. The story was one of Bill Brosnans first jobs was to make the fills between Dallas and Rockmart Ga. It's still a rough patch but much is now doubble track.

butch

This is the south end of the original CNO&TP Tunnel 26 at Oakdale.

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk