Need Louisville/Danville info

Started by beal99, February 13, 2009, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beal99

Hey guys, coming down from Chicago with my friends for the rathole next week, on the way back we will be through Danville and Louisville. I've never been up there and we need any railfanning info people may have. Any information is welcome! It'll prob be Saturday in that area

Thanks a lot in advance!

swinstandley

When in Danville, go north on KY 33 to Buster Pike.  Take a left to go to a bridge that crosses the NS near Faulkner Ln where you can view the line to Louisille leaving the CNOT&P.  There is a wye there for trains that travel between Lexington and Louisville.

If you go through Lawrenceburg on US 127, go in town and take a right on US 62 and go about three miles to Tyrone and checkout Young's High Bridge over the Kentucky River.  No trains on it since 1985, it was completed in 1889 by the Louisville Southern.  It is a perfect specimen of a 19th century cantilever bridge.  The Southern Railway's 1974 Western Division taimetable has the following about this bridge. "Single diesel units of type 4-4 must be followed by a spacer car weighing not more than 50,000 lbs."

Another spot to check out is on Floyd Street in Louisville, near Eastern Pkwy, between the U of L campus and Papa John's Stadium.  There is a public park there at the crossing of the NS with the CSX.  NS delivers autoracks to the CSX Osborn Yard ia a connection between the two lines a Floyd Street.  These autoracks come from the NS mixing center on the west side of Shelbyville, between I-64 and US 60 off of KY 55.

E.M. Bell

Traiffic is down on the Louisville district right now, with the auto plants being either shut down or not shipping as much as they normally do.  Around here, we have Rack trains like the pokey has coal...thats about all you see :) 

THe Louisville district seems to be the buisiest in the afternoons, when you start getting a parade of Eastbounds (which is about all you can shoot anyway..they sun does not really favor Westbound shots anywhere)  Startng late morning and through the afternoon depending on how they are running, you can get 223, 111, 167, 23G and 161 pretty much in that order.  The whole line is TWC with the exceptions of CTC out of Louisville, and from Talmage into Danville.

Having a good map, timetable and scanner will help you track the trains down and be able to see who is meeting who and where.  some of the sceneic highlghts would include the street running in Harrodsbug (just West of Danville and the wye) and also the siding at Waddy, which has about a million photo angels. 

check out our signal list and other info for the district at  http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=4496.0   

and  http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=4487.0

if you have any idea of where you want to shoot besides DV, let us know and I will get some more info for you.  Heck, depending on when you here on that Saturday, I might even be able to give you the 50 cent tour :) 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk