Pusher Operational Questions

Started by Conrail Tweety, December 29, 2008, 02:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrail Tweety

After reading http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=1956.0, I have some more questions.

What are the limits for pusher power at the REAR of a train? (I read elsewhere that pairs of new NS ES44AC's in pusher service run with eleven axles powered.)

Also, how is power coordinated between the head end and pusher? Do they both run the same throttle settings? If they approach the speed limit, do they both throttle back?

Who is in command after both crews combine into one train?

When starting from a standstill before the hill, does the pusher bunch all the slack before the head end moves?

Does the pusher connect the air line to the last freight car?

How is cutoff on-the-fly done?

Does the EOT need to be removed before attaching a pusher?

Does a pusher need permission to pass a stop signal for the expected move into position behind a stopped train?

Is the pusher crew required to operate from the forward pusher unit?

Are there any special rules if pushing a caboose?

Are there any special rules if empty flatcars (or other lightweights) are somewhere in a train being pushed?

(My main interests are centered around eastbounds toward Bluefield, and eastbounds from Whitethorne.)

"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

jcmark4501

Quote from: Conrail Tweety on December 29, 2008, 02:54:22 AM
After reading http://jreb.org/ns/index.php?topic=1956.0, I have some more questions.

What are the limits for pusher power at the REAR of a train? (I read elsewhere that pairs of new NS ES44AC's in pusher service run with eleven axles powered.)

If you have a decent engineer there are none.

QuoteAlso, how is power coordinated between the head end and pusher? Do they both run the same throttle settings? If they approach the speed limit, do they both throttle back?

In areas where pusher operations are normal the pusher engineer has trained on the job enough that very little co-ordination is needed. Once the brakes are kicked off the pusher engineer starts to lean into the train. The pusher engineer then watches the speedometer and will back off if the train reaches track speed. As for slow orders that take a little co-ordination but, typically trains with pushers aren't going fast enough to worry about them.

QuoteWho is in command after both crews combine into one train?

The head-end crew.

QuoteWhen starting from a standstill before the hill, does the pusher bunch all the slack before the head end moves?

No. This could backfire and you might push cars off the rails.

QuoteDoes the pusher connect the air line to the last freight car?

Not in this day and age. The pusher is connected to the train's air via the EOT. It's not a physical connection.

QuoteHow is cutoff on-the-fly done?

There is a box on the pusher loco that is connected to the actuating MU hose and it has a chain that runs down to the pin fo the coupler. When the pusher engineer "bails" the engine brake, the box pulls the chain on the pin and viola, you are cut away from the train.

QuoteDoes the EOT need to be removed before attaching a pusher?

No.

QuoteDoes a pusher need permission to pass a stop signal for the expected move into position behind a stopped train?

Yes.

QuoteIs the pusher crew required to operate from the forward pusher unit?

This varies from railroad to railroad.

QuoteAre there any special rules if pushing a caboose?

Not anymore. Back in the days of wooden cabs the crews would have to put them behind the pushers or the pushers would crush the cabs.

QuoteAre there any special rules if empty flatcars (or other lightweights) are somewhere in a train being pushed?

No but, if the train's engineer thinks it might be an issue, he will bring it up to the pusher engineer and possibly the dispatcher.

(My main interests are centered around eastbounds toward Bluefield, and eastbounds from Whitethorne.)

[/quote]

Conrail Tweety

Quote from: jcmark4501 on December 29, 2008, 02:18:10 PM
Quote from: Conrail Tweety link=topic=6973.msg20363#msg20363 date=1230537262

Does the pusher connect the air line to the last freight car?

Not in this day and age. The pusher is connected to the train's air via the EOT. It's not a physical connection.

I don't exactly understand this. Can you elaborate?

Thanks for your answers.

Backyard

8) Leans on the speedometer or the ammeter?
Backyard/Allen

Ernie1

It might vary between divisions but on the Pittsburgh division helpers are tied into the trainline

TB4JY

Quote from: Ernie1 on February 16, 2009, 05:30:45 PM
It might vary between divisions but on the Pittsburgh division helpers are tied into the trainline

:D  Same in Georgia.

As far as I know...  Mind you I don't work on the poky...  You can't shove on a occupied caboose. ;)  SSI or NS-1?  ??? Can't remember (though I pretty sure its SSI) and my books are in my grip in the car.  To lazy to go get it. :P

Backyard

QuoteI don't exactly understand this. Can you elaborate?

8) The EOT has a radio channel programed to the lead engine telemetry device for length of train & air pressure & when the pusher hooks up the engineer finds that channel on his telemetry device.

Therefore the engineer knows what the air pressure is on his end of the train.  That's the non-physical  part of the connection.
Backyard/Allen

Conrail Tweety

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk