EOT Question

Started by dl109, March 12, 2008, 06:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dl109

Do any of you monitor the NS EOT devices on your scanners while out fanning?  And if so, how close does the train have to be before you begin to hear the 'chirps'?   I know this will depend on terrain and make of scanner, but what's been your experience with this?

Michael Knight

I may be wrong, but I believe scanners on the normal railroad range can only receive signals form the NS type EOTs, which operate using VHF frequencies. One has to be fairly close to receive these signals.

In addition, the newer AAR standard type EOTs operate using UHF frequencies; these signals may be possible to receive if your scanner can pick up the particular UHF range.

nssd70

457.937 picks up most EOT's. NS' old EOT used 161.115.
Someone correct me on the frequincies if they are wrong.
Doug

Michael Knight

Quote from: nssd70 on May 07, 2008, 09:58:10 PM
457.937 picks up most EOTs. NS' old EOTs use 161.115.
Someone correct me on the frequencies if they are wrong.
Doug

I don't know the exact frequencies, but those listed sound about right. ;)

Willie6622

Quote from: dl109 on March 12, 2008, 06:27:17 AM
Do any of you monitor the NS EOT devices on your scanners while out fanning?  And if so, how close does the train have to be before you begin to hear the 'chirps'?   I know this will depend on terrain and make of scanner, but what's been your experience with this?

Usually the "chirps" can only be heard about 3 miles away. NS has rapidly quit using the VHF 161.115 markers and pretty much only use the AAR 457.937 UHF frequency markers. I have noticed the most recent group of locos that have gone through Altoona for Air Conditioner work have had their second VHF antenna removed leaving only the one for the radio.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk