NS ECP Test Train Derailment in Knoxville, TN this evening 3-21-08

Started by billworsham, March 21, 2008, 08:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Train 511, an ECP test train, has derailed beside the White Lilly Foods plant in the Old City area of Downtown Knoxville, Tenn. 
The head-end is stopped west of Morgan Street, and the three locomotives are leaning, but upright. The cars behind the locomotives are skewed accordion style, but are also upright. Fuel is leaking, but fortunately there are no injuries.
Both main lines will be bocked for some time. However, NS could either hold trains or re-route them via City yard and Coster.

Hoydie17

Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Michael Knight

NS 7662 is leading the consist now couple to the rear of the train. When the ECP program has been set up, the train will pull 101 of the 105 cars west, and then shove north toward Coster.

Full Service

The train that derailed in Knoxville was NS 511 with NS 7649 leading one of the ECP sets.  While the cause is unknown, I would doubt the new braking system had much if anything to do with it. 
WB

Hoydie17

Quote from: Fullservice on March 22, 2008, 08:42:43 AM
The train that derailed in Knoxville was NS 511 with NS 7649 leading one of the ECP sets.  While the cause is unknown, I would doubt the new braking system had much if anything to do with it. 

I was just being sarcastic.
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Michael Knight

While the braking system probably did not cause the incident, the fact that this was a ECP train is still noteworthy for several reasons. For example, I believe there was a RFE aboard the train--although, I've not confirmed this, and this incident could provide a real-life example of how these trains handle during a derailment and an emergency brake application. Furthermore, it's kind of sad to see damage to such new equipment.

Backyard

8) Well dog my cats...the last news item listed suggested maybe there was something on the tracks.

I can't believe how fast I doubted the e-brakes!
Backyard/Allen

E.M. Bell

Sandhouse Scuttlebutt is saying the train struck a "steel object" that had been placed across both rails, resulting in the  Rail/wheel interface malfunction.  Track speed is pretty slow through there (25mph I think)...could have been a lot worse a few miles down the track and out of the city.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Yes, Emmett, your source is correct. Speed through downtown is rather slow.
It has been confirmed that there was not only a RFE on board the train but also a trainmaster as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk