NS Pocahantas Dist. this fall

Started by Chris7092, July 18, 2007, 01:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris7092

I know NS' "Heartland Corridor" project is expected to begin next month, and I'm pondering a trip down there in September.  My question for any of you knowledgeable in this project is how the trains will run.  I'm wondering if NS will put a curfew up during the day so the work can be done.  If anyone has any info on this project and how it will affect rail operations, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris
K8CRQ

Hoydie17

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't expect to see major curfews until early next year.  As with major projects like these the first efforts will be concentrated around surveying property lines, staging equipment, and beginning land clearing operations.  Then of course stabilizing and leveling ground and building access points. 

The railroad will try to hold off as long as possible before starting curfews that will undoubtedly cause traffic snarls elsewhere in the system.   At least until it becomes too impractical or begins to consistently delay trains over slow orders and work limits to the point that a curfew is needed.  The curfew would be used to lighten the burden on the MOW forces from having to stop work every time a train shows up and to help keep trains from stacking up outside of terminals.

Sean
Α Φ Ψ  -  Old Dominion Chapter

"I'm not only the club president, I'm also a client."

CTT1(SW) Steven P. Daugherty, United States Navy - 1978 to 2007 - KIA, Baghdad, Iraq - You will not be forgotten.

Junior

I thought I heard rumors of emplyees being laidoff while the work is being done.  My roommate at engineer school works out of Bluefield and that was what he had been hearing.
Junior

Expoacher

I think nobody currently knows as far as curfews go. There are rumors the Dry Fork, Buchanan, and Gilbert branches will be used to bypass certain tunnels at times. Also, unless curfews are during daylight hours and the movement runs at night only, this may represent a nice opportunity for a flurry of action at times.
  I've been on the Pokey quite a few times in the last six months and have noticed most all the tunnels have been surveyed. There's also a site that goes into great detail as to what each tunnel will have done, but I've misplaced the link.
  Brent

Chris7092

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question.  I think I'll keep my plans of going down there in September.

Chris
K8CRQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk