Coil Train?

Started by TRNBUF, January 28, 2007, 10:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRNBUF

As I was in Centralia, IL today(01/28/07), I saw a long coilcar train sitting in a siding on the NS Illinois Division without an engine on either end.  Does anyone know where this is heading or coming from?

~Mike

nscnotp1

Were they fills or empties?

TRNBUF

They were those covered coilcars so I couldn't tell.

NS Dispatcher

Those were empty steel cars for AK Steel at Rockport. Also that was the New Pass at Centralia where you saw them. Sometimes we get too many in at one time and cant keep them all at Huntingburg so we start looking for storage and the New Pass at Centralia is a good place. It holds about 120 cars or so.

JME

cmherndon

Quote from: NS DispatcherThose were empty steel cars for AK Steel at Rockport. Also that was the New Pass at Centralia where you saw them. Sometimes we get too many in at one time and cant keep them all at Huntingburg so we start looking for storage and the New Pass at Centralia is a good place. It holds about 120 cars or so.

Would I be correct in guessing that all these cars came from 61A?  It just seems to me that taking those all the way to Centrailia is a huge PITA, but I guess you do what you have to do.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

TRNBUF

There was quite a bit of them in the new pass.  I could tell they were going to be there awhile because they had the cars broken apart at the crossings.  That new pass used to be a busy place until they put in the Shattuc siding. 

Thanks for the info...

~Mike

NS Dispatcher

They didnt come off 61a. 61a gets to take his entire train into Ak Steel without having to reduce anywhere before hand. All these particular emptys all came in on 2 seperate 375 trains. 375 brings most of the steel cars that isnt already on 61a to Huntingburg and many times there is just no room. These particular cars are moving back in sections in the next few days. 31 of them were picked up on Monday. Other trains that carry these AK emptys are 168-375-283-167-d11. They hit us from every direction.

JME

nscnotp1

I do know also that NS 376 takes some of the empties with him along with the gons on his train out of Louisville east thru the Louisville Dst and then northward to Middletown. So I would suspect that NS 167 drops his loads off at Louisville and gives them to NS 376.

NS Dispatcher

167 should never set out anaything at Louisville as it is a solid Knoxville train when it leaves Huntingburg. The coil cars you see on 376 come to Louisville from 161 and 283. Both pick them up at Huntingburg.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk