NS coal trains

Started by J 484 fan, January 16, 2007, 07:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J 484 fan

Playing the game Yard Duty and wanting to run proto I currently am the YM at Lambert's Point. I think I read somewhere that NS will run coal trains with as much as 180 cars. If this is true and normal how much motive power are we talking about? My guess would be 3 on front and two on the rear. What is the rule of thumb for a 'full length' train on NS coals and what is the common motive power used? I have been to NS coal country but didn't get a chance to see many coal trains while there.

nscnotp1

We have a coal train that comes from the coal mines down around Hazard which travels up the EK Sub via CSX then connects with the RJ Corman Line at Winchester, KY then comes into Lexington to the connection track to the NS CNOTP, the train then becomes NS 70K. Then it takes his power with a NS crew and takes the train southward to the Kentucky Utilities E.W. Brown Power Plant to set off and pick up the empties to take to Hazard.

Usually the train has about 80 to 90 cars with two CSX AC4400CW units.

I don't know if this helps.

NS 2649

NS coal trains in Lamberts Point are always atleast 150 cars, and 2 to 3 motors. Except you get the Gilmerton, VA plants (Chesapeake, VA) and they're EMD SD40s mainly used and are restircted to 3 bays as well as 125 cars standard.

stillbre

Its almost all down hill from Roanoke/Crewe to Norfolk.  Power is mainly needed for dynamic braking.
Most utility coal trains are in the 90-95 car range.  I know Duke Power has a max of 98 cars for all their power plants.
Josh Blevins
Charlotte NC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk