Strange Radio Traffic

Started by ceanderson3, February 15, 2014, 11:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceanderson3

I listened to the radio on my way home from Kingston to Harriman tonight around 10:20. The entire way home, I heard an automated message (much like a HBD) giving out a speed along the lines of "X.X miles per hour" and all of the speeds were below 5 mph. The audio was distorted as if another transmitter was active and the I heard this probably every 30sec to 1 minute. The signal was strongest toward Kingston and by the time I got off I-40 near EG Tower, I could barely hear it.

Any idea what this is or where it's coming from? I've never heard it even when listening in Kingston.

E.M. Bell

Sounds like the train speed readout on a weigh in motion scale. Not unusual to find around a mine or power plant, although I cant recall every hearing one down that way either.  Was it on the road channel?
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

ceanderson3

It was on the road channel. I went past TVA Kingston on I-40 but don't recall if that was its strongest point or not. It was dark so I couldn't see the yard from the interstate.

GP30Rider

There is indeed such an animal at the Kingston Steam Plant.  I'm sure it is a very low power transmission.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk