Rathole Division Tunnels

Started by Bill Richardson, September 25, 2013, 11:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Richardson

Hello rail fans.  I'm new here.  I spent some time the last couple of days reading what I found about the Rathole Division, and looking at a lot of good photos of trains, some on here, and some on member's websites.

I live near Somerset, KY and a few years ago I got interested in the old tunnels in this area.  I lived only three miles from #5 for about two years and didn't know it.  I knew there was one in the Sloans Valley area, but had not seen it, and didn't know the exact location.  I finally started checking and found that one and a few others.  I made photos and eventually made a web page about it for my old website.  I had a website for ten years, but took it down about a year ago.  That one cost money.  Since then, I started a new one with a host that offers free websites.  Recently I made a new page for the tunnels, and another one with a few photos of the Green River trestle.  Tonight I made a page on the very old bridge at Tyrone, KY, the Tyrone Bridge, originally called Young's High Bridge, built in 1889.  I went out on that bridge in 1999, with a film camera, and made a bunch of photos.  That was neat.  I wanted to go a few years later, but it was not allowed.

I want to put a link for my website here, so anybody that wants to can see my photos of the old tunnels, and the other RR subjects.  My website is mainly about the outdoors, but I like trains too.  The old tunnels are interesting.  One time my wife and I were standing near an old tunnel and heard a train horn.  It seemed strange to be looking at an old tunnel and hearing the horn.  The train was farther over, on the modern line, out of sight, but it sort of seemed like the sound was coming from a train on the old line we were standing on.  Sort of like a ghost train.  The digital camera I was using doesn't record sound with video.  I wanted to aim at the tunnel for the video and record the horn sound.  That would have been neat.  Anyway, we got a bunch of photos.  Here is the link to the website:

http://kentucky--woodlands--etc.eu.pn/

butch

Hey Bill, you made it.  I like the fog on the bridge photos.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk