Hand Held Scanner?

Started by T. Mahan, January 31, 2013, 09:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Mahan

Let the suggestions pour in....

I'm in the market for a good handheld in the $150 or so range that will pick up the AAR channels and narrowband.  My old Radio Hack scanner just doesn't do well with narrowband, it can pick up the transmissions sounds so faded and washed out.  I use a magnetic mount antenna sized for the AAR frequencies.  I prefer a handheld vs a mobile unit so it is easy to pack and fly with when I go on trips for work.  Yeah I know for now everything is analog and MAY go digital in the near future, but if I get a year out of it and bag a few trains I'd otherwise miss, I'd say the investment was worth it!  SO what do you all suggest??

Thanks!!!!!
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

chipallen16

Yaesu FT-270R! I know of at least three other JREB-ers that can attest to that!

-Chip  :)

Ed Fury

Baofeng UV-5RA mine cost around $42.95 and I can hear everything I need on the Norfolk Southern Louisville district. I just punched in 160.950 on channel 1 and 160.245 on channel 2. I can hear the road channel and the channel they give track warrants on. Amazon.com has them and they have no sales tax and free shipping. Prices change every week or so and they can vary as much as ten dollars. I've seen these as low as 37 bucks and as high as 52 bucks.

Batman

I bought one too ,  thanks for the down low !

T. Mahan

Thanks, been eybslling the Baofeng, looks like good reviews, I was willing to spend more, but if it does the trick....
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

AFT2101

I have the Yaesu FT-270R. Works great, but it is tough to program.

T. Mahan

Ok, so it lokos like the reccomendations are:

Yaesu 170 series - 2 way

Baofeng UV-5R - 2 way

Uniden BC75XLT - 1 way scanner

Im leaning to the Bearcat as the Yaesu is a good two way radio, but I am looking for more of a traditional scanner. and is about $100 cheaper, looks to be narrowband compatable as well.  Also has the same antenna mount to my mobile antenna.  Anyone out there have the BC75XLT or other similar Uniden product?
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

Batman

took my Baofeng UV-5R out with me today , be advised the range is good for around 3 miles tops.

Ed Fury

That's pretty bad. I can hear on mine about 40 miles out for dispatch giving track warrants. About an hours heads up time. And actual crew in cab communications at least ten miles to my east about about 15 to 20 to my west. Depending on the engine. Those new ACes have powerful radios. Some of the older junkers like an old SD60 I can't even hear those standing next to the track when they call signals.

Southern6482

Quote from: trainkid16 on January 31, 2013, 09:07:36 PM
Yaesu FT-270R! I know of at least three other JREB-ers that can attest to that!

-Chip  :)

worth every penny on the sound lone!!!!! thankfully you only have to program once!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk