Good phone aps

Started by butch, January 17, 2013, 05:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

I've joined the iphone generation so now I need to know what, after the JREB ap, are the best aps to get to support railfanning. 
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

florida581

I have the "5-0 Radio Free Police Scanner" app on my iPhone.  It's a free app.  It has railroad feeds in its database.  It also gives you the option to "favorite" feeds and to add your own feeds. 
Andrew

E.M. Bell

#1 first and foremost... The Photographers Ephemeris App.  Not Free, but sure is handy for trip planning and figuring out sun angles at certain times of the day in places you dont often go.

There are several good weather apps, but I prefer the Weatherbug (get the paid version)... Great maps, radar and Satellite for figuring out where the clouds are.. Also, the NOAA app, which has a built in radio that will figure out where you are and get you the closest station.

A good mapping app...I have Google Earth, and a couple of others. The phone is usually a piss poor GPS, but the maps are always handy.

Teamviewer...will let you remote to your computer back home for ATCS and about any other thing you need. If you have this, no need to tote a laptop around!

a good PDF reader...that way you can import all of those PDF Timetables and track charts to your phone and have them handy. I have TT's and charts for every NS Div and District on the phone...no need to tote around binders full of crap anymore!

And Taptalk for Jreb of course :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

dschlegel

Great topic! I plan on trying that team viewer one for the ATCS in the field.

One other is tune in radio, which has a lot of the railroad radio stations.

Ed Fury

Scanner Radio. There's a free version and a pay version. I used the free version when I was in Columbus for two weeks listening in to the South Central Ohio feed for all the railroads in the area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk