CNOTP 3rd district must dos?

Started by T. Mahan, October 15, 2012, 07:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. Mahan

Gang,

Will be making a pilgramage back to the homeland of KY.  Instead of making the straight 11 hour drive from Florida, Im staying the night in Harriman, then spend the next day on the 3rd & 2nd districts of the CNOTP.  I know most of the spots on the 2nd, but not much on the 3rd. Any must see/do locations?  Nemo?  Im leaving the gas guzling truck behind and driving a car... Ill take gravel roads, but not dirt. Any advice is appreciated!
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

E.M. Bell

Nemo in a car is doable, as long as you plan on just driving into the South end of the South tunnel. NS has made some drastic improvements on that road, and its not TO bad for what it is. Just watch the bad ruts down towards the end.. Now, dont plan on getting to the good shot on the South end of the North tunnel in a car (or anything else with low clearance)..the tunnel is badly rutted and full of water on the South end. The last time I was down there, I didnt chance it even in the explorer..

3Rd district..lets see. I dont know it as well as the 2nd, but off the top of my head, some must have shots..

North to South from Oakdale..

Camp Austin (ok..so that is on the 2nd). Jacob was back in there last week, and NS had cut the brush back again opening up the shot off the bridge. Great for Southbounds in the afternoon. When you are in Oakdale, just follow the road that follows the tracks North until you cross on the bridge I mentioned.

CP Strange in Harriman. This is where the CSXT/K&O connection joins the CNO&TP at the North end of the big truss bridge just North of Downtown. There is a overhead bridge you can shoot off of, and the mainline has a great curve with kudzu covered hillsides.. Light is best in the late mornings.

Example.. http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/image/142292744

Rockwood has a few "so-so" spots if you look..if pressed for time, dont bother...although the last time I was there the old signals where still in use..

The area just South of Roddy siding offers some of the best views on the 3rd district. (about halfway between Rockwood and Spring City).. The valley is fairly wide and shooting from the shoulder of 27, you can get some great wide angle views with Waldens Ridge in the background, and there are lots of old barns, houses ect to frame with. Best light is in the morning, and is good for trains in both directions as its almost perfect side light. After 11 or 12, its gone..

Examples... http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/image/142342798

http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/image/142291804

Spring City still has the GRS searchlights in place on the North end, along with the depot there.

There are a few other places South of there, but I cant think of anything that really sticks outs. Let me know if you happen to need any TT copies for the area.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

T. Mahan

Thanks for the intel!  CP Strange looks to be a worthy stop! I have a TT from 2000, thinking not to much has changed, but if you have a PDF/Scan of some sort, I'd be happy to have an updated copy!
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk