Fall Color Trip Suggestions

Started by csx6900, October 02, 2012, 12:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx6900

Hi all-

I'm trying to plan (and save money for) my annual fall color trip into the Appalachian mountains.  Last year, I spent a day on the CSX Blue Ridge Sub between Erwin, TN and Spruce Pine, NC.  It was an excellent trip with great scenery and plenty of trains, but this year, I'm looking for something different.

So far nothing is set in stone.  I'd like to get deep into the mountains somewhere like Hazard, KY or Bluefield, WV.  I've even thought about doing a Roanoke-Bluefield stint over the course of two or three days.  Basically, I'd like suggestions on scenic and fairly busy locations.  The main factors I must take into account are distance (I live near Knoxville) and available lodging (if the location is far enough away that it requires multiple days).  Also, what days of the week are busiest for the location suggested, and when will fall colors most likely be at their peak?  Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

-Thanks,
Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

T. Mahan

Heck, why go anywhere you are in prime fall foliage & railfanning area.  Just head over to the 3rd District of the CNOTP and have a blast, where I'll be in a week!
T.J. Mahan
Green Cove Springs, FL
www.facebook.com/tjm6515

csx6900

Lol, true!  I suppose I might as well since funds were unexpectedly cut short (gotta keep the railfan-mobile runnin!) for the trip.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

thpbears

We are loading up to do a Bluefield trip in the morning. When I get back tomorrow I will let you know how the leaves are looking. Here on the TN/VA state  line the leaves are not to bright just yet. Maybe on the Mountains farther north.

thpbears

Just got back. Not to many trains running and looks like they are rebuilding the fueling racks at Bluefield yard. The leaves are very bright. Seems like we see more trains on Sat from past experiance up in that area. Just as luck would have it got home several hours later and one of the covered hopper trains we saw in Bluefield  was going across the Roanoke web cam.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk