Track Warrant Questions

Started by csx6900, January 01, 2012, 06:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csx6900

Hi guys-

I know that there are several "informed" members on this forum that could help me with a few questions regarding track warrants. The other day, I was reading a web page from the early 2000's with information regarding track warrants and how they are used. It was very informative, but I still have a few questions.

First, when a new track warrant is issued to a train, and they check box 1 to void their last warrant, does the crew still have to "report limits clear" for the warrant that was voided?

Second, if in ABS territory, is it true that seperate trains traveling in the same direction can have overlapping warrants without the trailing train(s) being informed of the train(s) in front of them?

Third, how do meets generally work in ABS territory (with spring switches at the sidings) as opposed to non-ABS without spring switches?

Thanks in advance!

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Ptrainman

If you check a box one, you do not have to report the limits for that warrent clear. As for the other 2, I have no idea.

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

Railroad80

When a two trains meet either in ABS or Dark, one train is given a block 9 to clear the main track while the opposing train would get a block 7 hold main track. the Dispatcher can get the train holding the main to restore the switch behind the other train. if not then the train with the block 9 is required to restore the switch. Trains in the siding at a meet can be given a Track Authority to depart the siding after the arrival of opposing train by using a block6 with the opposing trains engine number. same applies to the train on the main line.
Yes trains traveling in the same direction in abs territory can have a Track Authority overlapping, As the signal will keep them atleast 10 minutes apart. Crews normally will know by looking in the computer and see what trains are called and who is aboard them.
Randy

csx6900

Thanks Paul and Randy!  That helps a lot.  One more thing on my #3 question:

It would make sense to me (and I have seen a real life example of this on the West End District) that an ABS territory meet with spring switches would happen as follows: The dispatcher gives train 100 eastbound a track authority from point A to point B (point B being a siding) with a check box 7 to hold the main track.  The dispatcher assumes that this train will reach point B before the other train that he is to meet.  Then he gives train 101 westbound a track authority from point C to point B with a check box 9 to clear the main track, assuming that the 101 will reach point B after train 100.  With spring switches, it would make sense to have the first train (100) hold the main and throw the switch at the east end of the siding for train 101 so that 101 could glide through the siding without stopping.  Then 100 would line the east end switch back to the main and continue.  Therefore, one train does not have to stop, both switches are lined for the main after the meet, and no crew member has to walk his whole train back to the head end.  Isn't this the preferred method of meeting trains with ABS and spring switches?

Of course, I would assume that there are special cases such as with very high priority trains or short trains.  For example, if a short train were to arrive at the siding first, he would get the box 9 to go in the siding because the crew member would not have to walk very far back to the engines and the other train can speed through on the mainline.

In non-ABS territory without spring switches though, I would assume that either one crew member will have to walk his train or both trains would have to stop to line switches.

-Evan
Owner and Administrator of RailSightings.com

Railroadguy

That is usually what happens unless one of the train is a "key train"

D300

As to multiple trains having the same limits in ABS territory: On a single track RR it is less likely they will have this happen as trains have to have lesser limits to make meets, etc.

However a great example, albeit not on NS, BNSF has 90 percent double track directional signaled mains along the Mississippi river.  I noticed since this is a rather long division almost all trains get the exact same limits when leaving the initial terminal. The signals keep them from catching up to each other. Some CTC Islands exists and the trains get the warrants from say milepost 1 to MP 67, where the crossover or section of single track forms, then another from MP 69 to 135, etc.

Having a history of watching single track NS lines, this was a little unusual to see the first time.

D300

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk