Tell me about the line West out of Macon to Albany/Columbus...

Started by troy12n, January 11, 2012, 09:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy12n

I will be in the area this weekend and am familiar with the CSX Fitzgerald sub which goes through the area, but never spent a minute on the NS line from Macon to Albany. After doing a little prelim work, it appears a line from Columbus joins it near Americus, you would think there would be a wye so trains from Columbus could go to Macon without running around the power. Guess that is not a routing that would be beneficial?

Any tips on the line, frequencies, what to expect in the way of traffic, etc would be appreicated, thx.

This also appears to be one of the many lines with ABS signals installed but authority via track authority.

lwjabo

I will try to help. The line from Macon going to Ft. Valley where it splits. One line to Americas and on to Albany and the other on to Columbus. There is also a branch to Perry all were old CG. The old Southern line came down from Williamson Ga to Ft. Valley but had a bridge colapse back in 1971. They finally abandoned it from Williamson down to near the sand pits. Southern (NS) leases this line. They bring in sand to Ft. Valley and exchange with NS there. The line from Columbus to Americas is leased. Before the merger of NS trains from Jacksonville crossed from the GS&F line to Albany and crews went from Albany to Columbus. Now the trains go on to Macon to Atlanta then to Birmingham. Most train action would be around Ft. Valley. With a little around Columbus and Albany. Several old lines into Columbus have been abandoned. The Southern line to Griffin. The CG line to Raymond where the Man of War ran to Atlanta. A line to Montgomery Ala.

Railroad80

In Junction City Ga. the CSX flies over the C of Ga Main to Columbus. 2 trains to and from Columbus with an occasional Rock train to Junction City.
At Oglethorpe Ga, the CSX and C of Ga mains cross at grade, A couple of locals and one train in either direction to and from Albany.
Good Luck!
Back in the 90's the line from Americus to Columbus was banked with dirt and no trains ran through there for several years, there maybe a shortline that runs there now but im not sure.
The GS&F main crosses the CSX in Cordele Ga if you get that far east, trains are a bit more frequent there.

E.M. Bell

Troy, I took a quick look at the GA TT, and the "normal" Southern Freqs should take care of it.. 160.950 road and 160.245/160.830 Ch 2
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

florida581

If running their normal route, these are the trains:
137 Macon, GA - Birmingham, AL
187 Macon, GA - Birmingham, AL
198 Birmingham, AL - Macon, GA
334 Sheffield, AL - Macon, GA
335 Macon, GA - Sheffield, AL
336 Birmingham, AL - Macon, GA
356 Albany, GA - Macon, GA
357 Macon, GA - Albany, GA
G83 Macon, GA - Ft. Valley, GA local
G82 Americus, GA - Ft. Valley, GA local
*187 and 198 sometimes run to/from Macon via Atlanta.
Occasional rock trains to/from Junction City, GA and grain trains to/from Camilla, GA show up.

Andrew
Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk