Abandoned Tunnels on the Kenova District

Started by cmherndon, May 14, 2010, 08:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmherndon

On Derby weekend, when everyone else was shooting the OCS trains, I found myself exploring the NS Kenova District.  While searching for some decent photo locations, I stumbled across three abandoned tunnels around Webb, WV.  It appears that this part of the line was double track at one point, and N&W or NS pulled it up.  Would anyone happen to have any information on these tunnels, or maybe some topo maps from the early 1900's that they could share?  We've discussed the old tunnels on the CNO&TP quite a bit, and now these old tunnels on the N&W have intrigued me.

And now for the photos (Click on thumbnails for a larger view):

Tunnel 7 (on the left), which is still in use, and the abandoned parallel bore.

East portal of the abandoned bore at Tunnel 7.

Looking east from the east portal of the abandoned bore.  The Kenova district is on the right, and it appears that there may have been double track in this location at one point.

The date on the tunnel shows it was constructed in 1905.

Another view of the east portal.

This appears to be a signal base near Tunnel 7.  Rocks just don't have that perfect shape, and a closer look showed that it is concrete.

This tunnel is between 6 and 7, and is on private property.  It was the most overgrown of the three, and sits about 200 feet from the main.

West portal of the abandoned bore parallel to Tunnel 6.

Looking west from the same location.  You can see the Kenova main, and it appears that this was double track at one point.

East portal of the same tunnel.

Obligatory "vehicle in tunnel" shot.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

butch

I'm jealous.  I'll see if any of the Pokey guys can supply some background info.
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

Fly Device

Here's a topo map of the tunnels from 1928. I'm not familiar with the area so correct me if I don't have the right ones.

Tunnel #7 is shown with two bores, the (abandoned?) tunnel to the east only has one bore, and likewise for the one you call #6 (I think it's officially #4). The track outside the tunnels is shown as double track throughout, except for the section bypassing the middle tunnel.

I also checked the most recent USGS topo map, dated 1963. It shows exactly the same configuration. No sign of the second bore you found beside #4.

I would assume the middle tunnel was built some time after the main line to straighten the curve. Strange that it was taken out of service. Based on how grown up the portal looks it obviously wasn't abandoned as part of the recent clearance improvement.
- Matt
Trackside at 45.9, Piedmont Division

butch

Cool map.  The info below is from Scott Tish who railfans that area extensively.

"All the original  tunnels were bored starting in 1904 as part of the new Big Sandy Low Grade Line project that replaced the longer and much more crooked Twelve Pole Line main. The new 1926 Tunnels 5 & 7 were bored as a result of a project that saw much of the Kenova District being double tracked with the exceptions of the areas at Tunnels 1, 3 and 4.  Rather than bore another Tunnel 6 N&W went around along the river. Double track through that area lasted until circa 1954 when it was single tracked leaving us with 2 Tunnels 5 & 7 and a now quiet Tunnel 6."
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

cmherndon

Quote from: Branch Forks on May 15, 2010, 09:31:04 AM
Here's a topo map of the tunnels from 1928. I'm not familiar with the area so correct me if I don't have the right ones.

That is the correct area and that map is exactly what I was looking for.

QuoteBased on how grown up the portal looks it obviously wasn't abandoned as part of the recent clearance improvement.

I was thinking the same thing.  The tunnels do appear to be in relatively good shape, to have been out of service for so long.

Butch, thanks for passing along that info.  Are there any topo maps available for the old Twelve Pole Main?
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

Fly Device

The entire Twelvepole line is now a road. If you search YouTube you'll find a couple videos of it, including the tunnel at Dingess, taken from a motorcycle-mounted camera.

There are topos covering the entire line dating from 1900 to the 40s here http://historical.mytopo.com/quadlist.cfm?stateabr=WV. The maps are Naugatuck, Holden, Wayne, Guandot and Ceredo.

Below is the Dingess tunnel cropped from the 1928 Holden map, and also the northern part of the line from a 1900 map I have which isn't available on the web.
- Matt
Trackside at 45.9, Piedmont Division

Gene

What happened to all the tunnel pics? I'd love to see them. ;D

Rnhatch

The Picture links got lost in a reshuffle of CMHerndon's site.  A little web sleuthing uncovers the new directory: http://www.cmherndon.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=693   Enjoy.

Gene

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk