RR lanterns

Started by butch, April 07, 2009, 03:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butch

Can someone with a wayback machine post some info on when the different colored globes were used in lanterns.  I see a lot of clear and red globes, but only the occasional amber, blue, or aqua maybe.  And I don't remember ever seeing a green globe, though I have seen a green lens on the larger units like what a caboose might use.

thanks,

ba
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

tq-07fan

Here are the few I know. One from experience and one from Employee Timetables.
A globe with clear and blue was used for flag stops (this seems to have been rather common, BC Rail still used white and blue flags for passengers to flag down the RDC when I tested rail up there in 1997).
According to various Penn Central and Conrail Employee Timetables special instructions, In Columbus Ohio the Columbus Union Depot "switch tenders will use a green flag by day and a green light (lantern?) by night for eastward movements ; a yellow flag byday and a yellow light by night for westward movements."

Study the special instructions of various employee timetables and you will find different places where different lights (which we can assume were lanterns) were used.

I hope this helps

Jim

butch

Thanks for the info Jim.  I'll dig out some old ETTs and see what I can figure out.  Now that I think about it, old rule books should have the info as well.

ba
Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk