Southern 4501, one step closer

Started by Knothead, July 31, 2008, 11:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knothead

Press Release from TVRM

Chattanooga, TN ? July 31, 2008

On August 1, 2008, the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum?s former-Southern Railway steam locomotive 4501 will enter Soule Shops for a Federal Railroad Administration Part 230 boiler survey. This inspection will provide, for the first time, a detailed map of the 4501?s boiler and is required for steam locomotives operating in the United States. The survey will help determine the feasibility of future operation for this now-retired star of the steam excursion operations on the former-Southern Railway throughout the Southeast during the late 1960s, 70s and 80s.

This survey, while required for any future operation, should not be taken as an indicator of the locomotive?s impending return to service. Coupled with additional inspection data, the survey is solely intended to determine the scope of work and financial requirements of any future restoration.

The survey and inspection is funded by donations from a small group of TVRM members and benefactors who wish to make available data for future restoration projects. The donations will fully fund this effort without requiring any TVRM financial resources. The survey will be performed by TVRM?s steam restoration team and will take approximately two months to complete.

TVRM intends to complete restoration of former-Southern Railway steam locomotive 630 prior to beginning work on any other steam locomotive. This project has been ongoing for almost five years and, barring any unforeseen difficulties, 630 will return to service in 2009.

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is the premier operating railroad museum in the Southeast, operating a variety of scenic and historic rail passenger trains and offering other rail-related activities throughout the year. TVRM is a not-for-profit educational organization; donations are tax-deductible. For more information on any of TVRM?s activities, track us down on the Web at www.tvrail.com

JCagle

I had heard rumors that this was going to happen, and that there is some funding there for restoration if it is viable.  For those wanting to see 4501 run again keep in mind that it's a great place to make donations since they are tax-deductible, and they serve a great cause.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

CAGY 2777

Sweet! I took pictures of her just recently 7/26/08 but they were direct head on shots being that shes stored. Was a cloudy rainy overcast day but I wasn't about to let that stop me. It was my first time there so... :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18611433@N06/2705102910/

Would be nice to see her shine the rails again but it takes time and alot of money for that. Main thing is she wasn't lost to the torch. Thats a blessing in and of itself.

Chris

P.S. If you never have been by the TVRM you should.  A nice place and nice people.
Proud hater of RailPrics.net & their over inflated ego.

jcmark4501

In 3 years 4501 will be celebrating her 100th birthday. Add that with the fact that Wick Moorman is a somewhat nostalgic guy and you might have enough fuel to start a rumor.

I do know 4501 would look nice running down the hollars of the old Tennessee Railway.

JCagle

Wick is a supporter of the project, and it has been said that he made a donation to her restoration fund.

I wouldn't start saving up for an NS steam excursion by any means but he does want to see her run again.

If she is restored to a servicable condition I would think she would be saved for some of the longer runs like the Chickamuga excursion and those sorts of things. The museum thought she was a little much for the Missionary Ridge since smaller engines would be more efficent for labor and costs of operation.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk