The Moss Collection, SR 4501 and a C&O geep triva question

Started by E.M. Bell, March 14, 2008, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

I already know the answer to this, let see who else can figure it out. Some of my com padres from Central KY are SURE to figure this out. 

The year is 1977, and Mr Moss is shooting a Southern Steam trip.  Here we see Southern 4501 being pulled by a C&O geep, on rails not owned by the SR or the C&O. This yard is still around today, and the track the train is coming off of is still used today.   Where are we, What city, Who owned the rails at this time, and why is this happening?? 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

alxmoss1992

Quote from: E.M. Bell on March 14, 2008, 07:34:52 PM
I already know the answer to this, let see who else can figure it out. Some of my com padres from Central KY are SURE to figure this out. 

The year is 1977, and Mr Moss is shooting a Southern Steam trip.  Here we see Southern 4501 being pulled by a C&O geep, on rails not owned by the SR or the C&O. This yard is still around today, and the track the train is coming off of is still used today.   Where are we, What city, Who owned the rails at this time, and why is this happening?? 

;D
Can I answer?....LOL
Alex L. Moss

E.M. Bell

I figure you know Alex...figured someone would know the answer to this by now...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

E.M. Bell

Quote from: nsboxcar on March 16, 2008, 10:25:01 AM
Is it coming off the L&N at Louisville?

Right State, and it is on the L&N, but not in Louisville. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

amzopff

Michael Knight

E.M. Bell

Quote from: nsboxcar on March 16, 2008, 01:19:20 PM
Lexington, Perhaps?

The young man from Knoxville wins the major prize..kinda..

At this late date, the only Wye in Lexington was on the C&O.  A Southern Fan trip from the North is being pulled down the connection track from the CNO&TP mainline to the L&N yard, then around the Lexington Belt line to the C&O Wye to turn the train for  the trip back North.  This was done several times that I know of over the years, and even the 611 was turned this way one if my memory serves me...

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

alxmoss1992

Quote from: E.M. Bell on March 16, 2008, 08:21:58 AM
I figure you know Alex...figured someone would know the answer to this by now...
Yea I knew cause my dad told me :D But I was gonna ruin it for everyone else!
Alex L. Moss

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk