CNO&TP Ferguson KY Shops

Started by E.M. Bell, February 28, 2007, 10:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

With some of the stuff that Butch has pulled out, it made me go digging for some stuff I had hidden away.

Here are some old shots (circa 1910 or so) of the CNO&TP Ferguson KY Shops. The shop was one of the main backshops for the queen and crescent route, located just South of Somerset Ky. The present day CP of Woods is located very near the former location of the shops, and if I am right, there is a scrap yard on the site today.

I believe these came from the UK library.

In the first shot, the locomotive closest to the camera looks to be CNO&TP  2-8-0 #657. A Rhode Island product, built 1900, became Southern #6141, and was the last of the D7 class to be built. Next to the 657 is a frame for a similar sized engine..nothing but a frame, cylinders and slide valves.   In the other Two shots, a variety of power can be seen, including what seems to atleast one Mikado.

There are the only shots I have ever found, or seen of the shops.. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

If you want to kill a couple of hours, here are the links to the Nollau photos that UK has available online.  It is not all CNO&TP, but much of it is, and it's a lot of fun.   (Consider  yourself warned that not all of the descriptions are complete and/or correct; they were done several years ago by students.)  And though the links are long, the directions though the menu layers to get to these pages would be even longer.  On the first link,  just click on "goto finding aid" under each collection.

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/b/bib/bib-idx?type=simple&c=kycolls&xc=1&sid=7cf15837018d0e3b2ce86a724ef04156&c=kycollsfa&cc=kycollsfa&c=eadimages&cc=eadimages&c=lexhl&cc=lexhl&c=journalsbib&cc=journalsbib&c=oralhistbib&cc=oralhistbib&c=kynewsbib&cc=kynewsbib&c=kymapbib&cc=kymapbib&q1=nollau&rgn1=entire+record

and

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?sid=7dcb94f50175d7cc02e406f565e81f8d;xc=1;c=kukead;idno=1998ua001;view=reslist;didno=1998ua001;subview=standard;cc=kukead;byte=38084655;focusrgn=C02

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

butch

OK, here are a couple more Nollau photos to whet your interest.  In order:

Danville Station
Burnside Station
CNO&TP 703
New High Bridge over old High Bridge-notice men on the near side of the bridge

Butch Adkins

E.M. Bell

I had lost that link butch, thanks! I spent a few hours last night going through that stuff, will post some here and there if there is interest.  I went through about 2000 files last night alone..seems to be a never ending Christmas Morning :)
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

butch

It really is like Christmas because so many of the pictures are badly labeled or are mis-labeled, that you're never really sure what you will get.  Everything from coal being called "rocks"-which I guess is sort of correct, even if it is in a tender-to "Train Approaching" on a picture of a caboose, to  several bridges being  labeled as "High Bridge" because  they are high above the water ( Bridge 54-Cumberland River at Burnside for example).
Butch Adkins

E.M. Bell

Badly labeled..you said it brother! I have been having much fun taking a picture (ie...a interlocking tower that would be labeled a station, or "sub station") with no other info, looking at the telegraph call on it, and then looking at OLD CNO&TP timetables and finding where it was located. FR tower, NV tower, XN ect...

perhaps we should offer our services to UK to help correctly label some of this stuff. I have enough reference material to figure a whole lot of it out...it would be a dam shame for this stuff to fade into history with bad info. 
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk