Odd Little Signals

Started by beal99, May 05, 2011, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beal99

Ok, another shot by my dad, Richard Beal.

What are these little signals on the signal bridge at Ludlow? (they aren't there anymore)

lwjabo

It's hard to tell from the picture but they could be Doll Masts. They were displayed when there was a track between the signal and the track with signals. That put them in or around yards and terminals. They also could be dragging equipment or Hot Box indicators

lwjabo

The first warning signals that I have ever heard of were dragging equipment. They were placed between the rails and on the out side. Any thing struck them set the waring lights down the tracks. It did not give a location just that something hit it. So you inspected the entire train. The one I knew of had to lights and they were red when lit. They flashed so the crew on the engine could see them. I would guess the new Hot Box doctors have replaced them. the way I see that signal it has them for both tracks. The more I think of it that is what they have to be.

E.M. Bell

That is in Ludlow KY, looking North across the Ohio River Bridge. Those would be "doll" signals that would give diverging indications into the Gest street yard leads, which start on the viaduct just on the other side of the bridge. That is a rather unusual configuration there, but room was at a premium. I cant recall seeing that set up anywhere else around these parts..
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ptrainman

Why would the normal signals show the diverging aspects?

Paul
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

lwjabo

Like I said the more I think about it they are the old dragging equipment signals. We had them on the Georgia Division and the one I remember at JacMac looked like it. From what I understand it had been there since the 40s. The new hot box detectors fazed it out. It has nothing to do with the signals. They were mounted on the signal mast because that was as good as any place to put them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk