A Gorgeous Day on the Piedmont 10/26/13

Started by chipallen16, October 27, 2013, 06:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipallen16

On Saturday October 26th, I'd planned to head out to get my "stress relief" for the week. Waking up two hours late of course changed my plans, but when I realized I hadn't missed anything (on the Piedmont), I was quite alright with my extra sleep.

Starting off my morning was NS 212, running nearly two hours late, banking into the curve in downtown Lula, GA, about to take an approach at Belton to meet southbound I-37.

Minutes later, the extra section of 237 called an approach diverging at Belton, preparing to diverge onto the single track to the south at Cagle. Two veterans are in these shots- the Southern Railway signal bridge (with replacements unfortunately standing by) and ex-Conrail SD40-2 3371.

The dispatcher told 212 they would be meeting a 203 at Baldwin, so I took to the Jeep and drove northward to the single track. Perched high atop the Mt. Vernon Mills access road bridge, we see the Rutherford, NJ to Atlanta, GA hotshot throttling up by some early fall color in North Georgia.

About an hour passed before the next train showed up, so I planned out my next shot at Garland White Road. This location, as well as Crescent Drive in Gainesville, are the only two places that offer good southbound morning light throughout the year. It's at this spot I captured Charlotte to Atlanta intermodal 221, led by some Conrail junk.

Once 221 passed, nothing ran for a good length of time. I took the opportunity to explore the new control point "Lula" set up to ease the process of bringing trains off the Commerce Branch wye.

154 finally came onto the radio about 10 miles south, and I got it in the last hint of decent northbound light for the day.

After 154 took an approach signal at Belton, I knew they'd be meeting counterpart manifest 153. For the last shot I wanted to get of the day, I jumped in the Jeep and drove down to White Sulphur. Sitting on about a 10-foot rock face, I captured this image of the 150-car freight.

After snagging this shot, it was time for lunch and to relax at home for the rest of my day.
See all of my photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/105565026@N06/
Thanks for looking!
-Chip  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk