Easter weekend in upstate NY

Started by Matt L, April 28, 2014, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

Ah yes, Easter. It's time for family gatherings, celebrations of life, candy... and trains. I spent a fair amount of time with NS, the B&H and a local RR museum. 

Day #1 began at CP Cass with NS hopper train 525 heading westbound:

The next train at CP Cass was NS mixed freight 13T, which included a standard cab GE in the power mix:

NS/CP mixed freight 38T came eastbound through CP Cass early in the afternoon:

I also spent some exploring the area around CP Cass, including this water tower bass:

Part of the former Erie RR/EL/Conrail station next to the tracks has been turned into a museum:

The museum has begun constructing a layout to commemorate the Ere junction at P Cass:

Around mid-afternoon, NS westbound 12T passed the old Erie/EL/Conrail depot:

All photos in this post were taken by me Saturday 4/19/2014 in Hornell, NY.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Day #2 was quieter, but I did catch NS 12T again in the Canisteo River valley:

All photos in this post were taken by me in Cameron, NY.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

Day #3 started off early with the Bath & Hammondsport RR in Blessing, NY. Theses shots were taken from the abutments of the old Eagle Valley Road bridge:

The B&H signal maintainer was working at the County Route 333 crossing in Campbell, NY:

B&H local freight at the the County Route 333 crossing in Campbell, NY:

NS was again kinda quiet, but I did get these shots at the yard in Gang Mills, NY:

All photos in this post were taken by me Monday 4/21/2014 in Steuben County, NY. I wish to thank the employees of the B&H for their professionalism and friendliness. Some of my Easter treats didn't come in a basket, and I hope y'all enjoyed them, too.

Bill Richardson

Interesting photos.  What is "Cass"?

Matt L

Thank you. CP Cass refers to the interlocking near Cass Street in Hornell, NY. It is where the Erie RR's Buffalo Division split from the mainline. NS owns the tracks now, with the Western New York & Pennsylvania RR leasing the former Erie/EL mainline from to Corry, PA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk