Southern steam in Kentucky, Virginia and West Virginia

Started by Gage O'Dell, April 20, 2014, 07:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gage O'Dell

Yesterday, I rode down with EM, Tyler and John down to Virginia for the steam trips between Grundy, VA and Devon, WV. This would be the first time that I had ever seen steam in action, and I wanted to see it at least once before the CNO&TP trips. I chose a great trip to join, because we had an amazing day. 25+ shots in 2 trips.. Now, without further ado, here are some of the pictures from the morning and afternoon trips.

If you want to see more steam photos, go over to my flickr page and check em out!  :) >https://www.flickr.com/photos/46459752@N08/

Also, here is a video of SOU 630 getting back up to speed at Woodman, KY after turning the wye in Devon >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jHYZWtGRNo&list=UUWLCniiQBNl2x2SWbO7CIrQ

Virginia
The start of the day! SOU 630 leads NS 066 across the bridge and into East Weller Yard

SOU 630 works its way past the NKP style signals at Lynn Camp

SOU 630 passes through a coal facility near Hurley

SOU 630 exits Raitt Tunnel on the afternoon steam trip

NS 066 and 630 works upgrade near Virginia Lee

Kentucky
SOU 630 leads NS 066 across Elk Creek in Woodman, KY on its way toward the wye in Devon, WV

The 1st Return Trip of the day and 630 is working her way back up to speed in Woodman

West Virginia
The second trip is halfway over as 630 slowly crosses the first leg of the wye in Devon

630 pops out of Ought One and toward the mass of people near Devon, WV

butch

Butch Adkins

Railroad Tunnel hunting in Kentucky

JHood4501

Great shots! Looks like you had an excellent first steam experience.
Jordan Hood

Ponce de Leon

Good grief, those are outstanding! For your first steam shots, you did fantastic!! I'm sure you understand the appeal of a steam locomotive to some of geezers who grew up with them...
Ron Flanary

thpbears

Very clear shots. Felt like I was there by looking at them.

Gage O'Dell

Thanks everyone! That means alot! Certainly was a fantastic day for a first timer :) Glad I got to experience it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk