April 2010 Photo Contest

Started by JCagle, March 11, 2010, 12:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select 3 of your favorites for the April contest.

trainchaser2's Kings Mountain, KY
2 (9.5%)
SRSD80MAC's Helpers
3 (14.3%)
cmherndon's 23G
15 (71.4%)
NS145's 255
6 (28.6%)
Whitethorne's 77A
4 (19%)
S2593's 236
4 (19%)
tq-07fan's Springtime in Ohio
2 (9.5%)
Batman's Macon, Ga
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 02, 2010, 11:55:11 PM

JCagle

This has been a cold and snowy winter for much of the East coast. With the arrival of April we begin to prepare for the warmer days of spring and summer.

The theme for the April contest will be Spring Greening. Show off your shots of the green spring landscape. It could be flowers or just green grass. This one is pretty much open to anything with a spring theme.

Entry will be open until the 28th and we will begin voting on the 29th

and as always the rules... Please note the entry limit this month!!

If some of you want to get some advice on the one photo to enter feel free to use the photo critique board. Let's try to keep them all in one thread for the month too. That will save with some topic merging with the board maintenance.

And as always the rules.....

All images entered in the contest must be your own images. Any violations of this will be banned from entering the contest for 6 months. Any subsequent violations will receive a minimum of 1 year suspension from the contest. At Jreb we take seriously the rights of photographers, and we strive to protect those rights.

Entries may be watermarked with your name if you desire, but please remove any references to other sites for contest entries.

There will be a theme announced for each month's contest.

All entries must be Norfolk Southern or it's predecessors.

There is no age limit or time frame that the pictures must be from.

Everyone including moderators and administrators may enter the contest.

Each participant is limited to ONE entry in the contest.

Since the winning image is posted on the main page you must attach the file as a thumbnail. You may post the image in the thread as well if you desire. Attaching the image can be done in the additional options menu above and to the left of the post button.

The deadline for entries will be posted in the theme post each month. Following the deadline a poll is placed in the thread for voting. When the poll is posted the deadline to vote is also posted. The poll will time out at the designated time. The winner is determined by the highest vote total.

In the event of a tie vote there will be a two day run off.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Gage O'Dell

Not really much of a train. But green landscape. Kings Mountain, Kentucky

SRSD80MAC

Two sd80mac helpers rounding horseshoe curve westbound to cresson engine house after a early moring coal drag to altoona. may 08

cmherndon

Here's a shot of 23G with NS 6717 leading two more of London, Ontario's finest through Vanarsdall, KY in early May, 2004.
Caleb M. Herndon, KK4CDT
Frankfort, KY
http://www.cmherndon.com

"The human mind is like a railroad freight car; guaranteed to have a certain capacity, but often running empty."

NS145

NS #255 speeding west at Curran, IL after an encounter with a line of springtime thunderstorms.

NW: There's No Stopping Us!

Whitethorne

NS 77A passes west through the beautiful New River Valley in Pearisburg,VA.
Samuel Phillips
My photos: www.pbase.com/whitethorne
My videos: www.youtube.com/NS7500

JCagle

Don't forget entry closes on Sunday so get your shots in this weekend!

NS2593

A dogwood tree overlooks the Bristol Yard as NS 236 passes through on April 12, 2008.

tq-07fan

Springtime in Ohio. We drove several hours to get the NS F units on the Kentucky Derby Train being photographed by the unknown railfan under and impending thunderstormy sky.

Bucuyrus, Ohio coming off the Ft Wayne Line onto the Sandusky District.

Jim

NS145

I've been noticing over the last few days that some of us who posted photos for the contest have seen our "bad karma" numbers drastically increase.  Is it really necessary to slam us if you don't like our shots?  It's not like we're being malicious forum trolls  If you don't like our shots, then don't vote for them.  Please don't mess with our karma ratings.  All that is going to do is scare people off from contributing photos. 

Ok, now let the real karmic beatings begin...  A post like this is fair game.

JCagle

Voting negatively doesn't keep them from being entered in the contest or anything like that. The feature was added to give a way for thanking people for heads up posts and that sort of thing that people find helpful.

NS145

I don't mind the "attaboys".  But in this case the negative karma points just don't seem appropriate.  I've tried to be a positive contributor to this website, then BAM! now I have 6 brownie points for just posting a photo (and not that bad of a photo IMHO).  Just seems rather tactless to me.  Every month I see some photos that I don't particularly care for, but why would I want to deliberately slam the people that posted them by giving them bad karma points?  If someone has a legitimate gripe about a photo, then man up and say something in a post or a PM!   

Like I said before, the contest voting sorts everything out without the direct snubs.  There's enough negativity in the world as it is.  If I keep getting bad karma points from just posting photos in the monthly contests, then I'll stop participating in the contests altogether. 

E.M. Bell

Seeing as how the "Karma" feature has caused such an uproar, the feature has been disabled.  If you have something good to say to someone, feel free to do in on the board, if you feel the need to do otherwise, take it off the board.. 

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

JCagle

Do not forget voting ends tomorrow night! Be sure to cast your votes if you have not.

JCagle

Congrats to Caleb Herndon for his shot of 23G

VirginiaSouthern

Tommy Warshaw
Click here to see my photos on Flickr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk