What a difference a week can make...

Started by Matt L, February 22, 2014, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt L

One week ago today, I was out in blowing snow... taking shots in drifts that were up to my knees. This weekend, while definitely not spring yet, was balmier and drier... so I could truly chase.

The first sighting of the day was NS westbound mixed freight 309 at the West Middlebury Road crossing in Middlebury:

Westbound 309 had a nice a BNSF pumpkin as the trailing unit so I intercepted the train for the 2nd time at the East main Street crossing in Attica:

A;; photos in this post were taken TODAY (2/22/2014) in Genesee County, NY. All rights are reserved.
Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

Matt L

The skies cleared off about an hour after 309 passed, so eastbound 13T arrived at the Spring Road corssin in Alexander under bright sunshine (which has been rare up here since New Year's).

Again, I hopped in the chase vehicle and intercepted 13T few miles down the line. This location is just east of the Dale Road crossing in Dale.

All photos in this post were taken by me TODAY (2/22/2104) in western New York. All rights are reserved. This reprieve from crappy weather was fun... but the forecast for next weekend isn't looking good at all. oh well, at least I got to be trackside this weekend.

Got questions? I can help you with the Erie Lackawanna (including predecessors), Lehigh Valley, Delaware & Hudson and the shortlines of upstate NY.

dschlegel

Nice set of shots! You definitely had a nice weather day!
PA dan

Matt L

Thank you! BNSF units are becoming very common on the Southern Tier Mainline  these days- apparently they repaying alot of HP hours to NS.

dschlegel

Quote from: Matt L on February 23, 2014, 07:47:39 PM
Thank you! BNSF units are becoming very common on the Southern Tier Mainline  these days- apparently they repaying alot of HP hours to NS.

They've been common the past couple of weeks here too. In fact it's been rare to see the 38/39G (Allentown-Camden trains) trains run with all black power.

Yesterday the 211 had a pair of pumpkins, and it was followed by 38G with a pumpkin trailing a NS unit.

PA Dan

Matt L

I guess BNSF owes NS alot of HP hours! I found out yesterday that Saturday's 23K (which apparently travelled west on the Tier later in the afternoon) had pure BNSF power.

NSMoWandS

You have to remember... when NS started hauling all this crude oil to the East Coast... most of the empties kept NS locos on them all the way to N.D. DE Dan

Matt L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk