New EMD's in the Kentucky Snow on the Gut Line

Started by E.M. Bell, February 23, 2015, 08:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.M. Bell

This past weekend was a great One here in Central Kentucky if you like EMD's and bad weather.  We had another round of winter Saturday morning, with 2 or 3 inches of new snow (on top of the 17 inches from earlier in the week) followed by several hours of sleet and freezing rain that put a nice frozen crust on everything. 

With the roads being bad, I didn't head out till Saturday afternoon, and didn't get to far away from home when I did. My main focus for that little adventure was Westbound train 22A on the Louisville District with a Year old SD70Ace leading. 22A almost always has a solid set of GEVO's for power, so this was a nice change. The dark cloudy day and snow lent itself well to shooting a Westbound in the early afternoon...you can really do that on a sunny day. 

Sunday, I headed out again for a few trains, including 375 with a 3 month old SD70Ace, and then M67 with a SD70M-2 followed by 223 with a nice SD60E, KCS combo.  With as much traveling as we do, it was nice to be able to shoot all that (and in Snow!) and never get more than 5 miles from home. 

Here are a few samples, and be sure to check out the whole set (in full size) at this link>>>> http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nsls15

Saturday 02/21/15

A mix of sleet and rain was falling hard as Westbound 22A worked through the big dip at Convoy, KY.  At this point, the head end is about 3/4 of a mile away and starting down the dip. 

Coming up the other side of the short but steep 1.4% grade.  The entire Louisville District is riddled with territory like this....they dont call it the gut line for nothing!

A few minutes late (after a brief pause at Talmage to meet a Eastbound) 22A crosses the creek in Salvisa, KY just down the road from our house.

Sunday 02/22/15

Westbound 375 comes into East Talmage, KY behind a 3 Month old SD70Ace

As soon as 375 was in the hole at Talmage, M67 comes East with a SD70M-2 leading

223 between Vanarsdale & Talmage, KY with a SD60E leading.

E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Michael Knight

Quote from: E.M. Bell on February 23, 2015, 08:36:59 PM

Great shots as always EM!  Those Southern-style signals make the above shot even more special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk