Increases in Carloadings

Started by NS145, November 14, 2009, 01:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NS145

Check this website out: http://railfax.transmatch.com/

For the first time this year, 2009 carloads are now beating 2008 for both the Grain and Food categories.  There has also been a sustained increase in carloads for all the Class I's since the 2nd quarter.  It looks like things might finally be turning around. 

NW: There's No Stopping Us!

Batman

this is the lastest info from NS ,   still WAY DOWN from years past.   and the annual slowdown is coming up.

JCagle

I've looked at both the link and the carloadings tables. Some things to consider concerning food and grain loadings being up year to year over last year could be factors like the return to more normal precipitation levels over the drought of the past several years throughout a large section of the country. With better weather comes a better harvest, and in turn more grain to transport for processing.  Finished grain products could be part of the increase in foods especially considering it is up slightly over 2008.

The levels may not be what they were but the general trend is up. It will be interesting to see how things fair with the post rush drop off later in the year.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

steveiez

I know by seeing the number of trains on the Ft  Wayne Line at Pitt we are still seeing lots of trains. Unfortunately it is still stack trains which means imports. Steel coke and general merchandise is slow. Grain and coal up too.
Steve

NS145

Thanks for posting the cool graphic Batman! 

It been pretty clear here in Springfield, IL that overall traffic levels have been down for the last few years, thanks primarily to our line's dependance on auto-related traffic.  Back in 2001-2003 the NS would run 4 or more loaded rack trains westbound almost every day.  Now there is only one dedicated rack train left.  Other westbound trains handle auto traffic now, but only in relatively small blocks.  MGT for the Springfield/Hannibal District has declined from 28.9 in 2001 to 24.1 in 2008.  2009 will definitely be much lower than even 2008.  Hard to say what 2010 will bring, but, hopefully, we've already hit rock bottom.

NS145

Quote from: jbcagle7073 on November 14, 2009, 11:03:57 PM
With better weather comes a better harvest, and in turn more grain to transport for processing.  Finished grain products could be part of the increase in foods especially considering it is up slightly over 2008.

Looks like you might be onto something.  This link indicates that the 2009 corn harvest will top 2008 and that the 2009 soybean harvest should be a record buster: http://www.wallacesfarmer.com/story.aspx?s=31506

I do know this, auto traffic might be down, but the NS is running grain shuttles to Decatur, IL like mad.  They had one crew last week pull 50 loads at Griggsville, then pull 50 more loads at Curran.  I've never seen them run a 100 car "double" grain shuttle before.  The engineer was complaining that the 13,000+ ton train exceeded the tonnage ratings for their 2 Dash 9's on the hills at Riverton and Harristown.  However, I believe they managed to get all that corn into Decatur in one piece.  And now ADM will be converting all that corn into food products to be shipped all across the country.  Can you say "win-win"?

JCagle

That definately sounds like they pushed those 9's to the brink. I think lots of places have had above average harvests this year.

Lots of the foods and grains could easily take two or 3 trips over the rails. I would think we should see the increase in foodstuffs and grains hold on as they cycle through the system.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

steveiez

I heard the corn crop was very very high. So that means prices will be very very low. Some it is a win and some not so good.
Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk