Building A of a distribution center

Started by Badhorse79, April 14, 2012, 09:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badhorse79

I have been kitbashing my newest digs for an unnamed company!  Its actually walthers Peterson tool specialties

Badhorse79

I was gonna go down in the morning and lay down some plaster and set it in there and start some scenery and track work get this party started ... oh um. Sorry .. I think I may try and think of a clever name for this place. 

NSMoWandS

NSMoWandS

I just thought of this... name it Peterson Tool... that way I know where the cars "here" are coming from...

Badhorse79

Lol I will do that.... see the great minds are alike

NSMoWandS

Yeah, I do not think I know anyone who bought this kit and actually put it together like it is suppose to be. Seems we ALL kitbash it into a background/flat kit!  :)

Badhorse79

I was planning on making the power plant like they did in Modelrailroader mag a few years ago I have all them coal cars and no where to put them

chipallen16

That was a cool one! They did one heck of a kitbash with that one!

-Chip  :)

Badhorse79

Yes they did ... how ever I have one issue ... mine is built up

NSMoWandS

I took the easy way... I have 2 tracks in my staging. One for loads... One for empties. Since my staging yard connects at both ends of my layout... I can just run them... loads one way from the mine... empties the other way going back to the mine. And all of it takes place off layout. That way the locals have something to get out of the way of... I can run them as many times as I want in a session. Also, since at my yard there is a RIP track... I can switch it up and have to set out a bad order car.

thpbears

This guy I buy trains off of sold me that same power plant for get ready you sitting down ? Ten dollars and already put together. I have been getting deals like this for a while and when I go to a train show I look at prices and just sit down and wait for the paramedics to get there with the oxygen. ;D I am getting ready to sell this house and build another and the wife said we could build a basement just for me and the son. I love her so much. Anyway I am going to put this power plant with a huge stockpile of coal beside and maybe two tracks for each emtey and loaded hoppers.

NSMoWandS

If you plan it right... I think John Armstrong can up with this... Build your power plant and mine next to each other but split by the background divider... Have two tracks that connect through the wall from each place... one track loads/one track empties.... pull the loads from the mine to the plant and there are empties waiting to go back. Take the empties back and... look at that... another loaded train is ready to go. Great way to have continuous cycles... sort of like how I use the staging.

Conrail Tweety

The semi-trailer in the first shot...

Many docks require the driver to slide the trailer tandems all the way rearward before uncoupling the tractor. This makes the trailer more stable as the forklift goes in and out, especially with heavy palletized loads.

This trailer was issued with its tandems positioned for highway use, as needed to comply with weight and dimensional laws, and allow better tracking around turns.

It should be a simple mod to reposition the tandems rearward to make the trailer more realistic for loading.

A stabilizer jack stand would also add a touch of detail to your industry. These support and stabilize the nose of the trailer after the tractor is uncoupled.
http://www.beacontechnology.com/jackstands/

If the tandems are left in the forward (highway) position, the trailer becomes very unstable when the second pallet is loaded up front. Imagine a heavy loaded pallet is first placed in a front corner, and a forklift is decelerating into the other front corner while loading the second pallet. There is lots of cantilevered mass up front and the rest of the trailer is empty. The landing gear becomes a fulcrum and the entire trailer wants to tip forward. By sliding the trailer tandems rearward, their mass will create a compound leverage counterbalance to help keep the tires on the ground.

Probably not an issue if the cargo is pallets of fluffy Styrofoam cups, but could be an issue if cargo is dense like beverages. A pound of counterbalance may be the difference between a non-event and disaster.

Dennis
"I 'tawt I 'taw a Tessie tat!"

NSMoWandS

Thanks for the info Tweety. I never knew that about trailers.

NSMoWandS

Oh, by the way... I made a comment in the Coal trains up hill/down hill section that was suppose to be here. And I am too lazy to re-post... Just FYI. :P

Badhorse79

Was that the hands on layout post! ?

NSMoWandS

No Badhorse. It was the pic of the beige industry... being based loosly after the Power Plant in MR... the "hands on" layout is a ref to the fact that your layout(like mine) has grades and you need to keep an eye on things.... otherwise.... :'(

Badhorse79

Duh ... I just noticed that .. good lord I need to pay attention a lil more huh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk