Any new development on NS Steam?

Started by crazytiger, November 18, 2010, 08:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazytiger

I was just wondering if anybody had heard any more about the NS Steam excursions that were announced in June, using TVRM engines.
Thanks

/Peter

E.M. Bell

Its still a go as far as I know. Southern 630 was successfully test fired at TVRM this week, and thats a major milestone for the new program. There was unofficial talk of her "perhaps" running a few Christmas trips at the museum in December.

I am waiting for some sort of 2011 schedule to be released...
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

NS212

NS hopes to make an announcement for the program this spring.

TonytheTiger

In case some of you didn't know, C&O 4-8-4 614 is going to be moved to Roanoke to be put back into service.  I do not know the schedule, but it will be before summer.

Ross Rowland is one of the partners that purchased the Greenbriar Resort, and he is planning on implementing rail service to the hotel (Greenbriar Express).  The facility for refurbishing the passenger cars is being prepared in Pottstown, PA.  Kickoff is scheduled for 2012, and will initially be powered by F7 diesels, but Ross wants to be able to run 614 on special occasions.

The C&O Heritage Center in Clifton Forge is also involved.  They have plans to build a working replica of the Thurmond enginehouse, and want to host steam excursions on the Buckingham Branch.  It may be that, in between runs on the Greenbriar Express, the C&O Heritage Center will have some steam powered excursions.
Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA

Ptrainman

Do you mean be moved by the summer or be running by the summer?
NS Virginia Division Expert & Railfan
KK4KQX

TonytheTiger

It is scheduled to be "moved" to Roanoke by spring.  I don't know the details of the running restoration, but Ross wants it running.
Rob Kitchen
Harrisburg, PA

Ptrainman

Thanks, this is a locomotive I have always wanted to see. I hope to get to Roanoke when it is moved.
KK4KQX

MP15NUT

But the New Hope & Ivyland is rebuilding a few Ex NS, nee CR C39-8's for the "Greenbriar Express"  Also were in Pottstown are they rebuilding the cars?  The old Stowe Yard, or the old Firestone plant?  I only live 20 minutes away from Pottstown.
MP15NUT
Modeling the NS Delmarva Secondary as the Delmarva Central

delcrr.webs.com
DELC is now on facebook!
Just search Delmarva Central!

Ptrainman

Any more news on the movement of C&O 614? Read that the exibit at VMT for 614 is scedualed for Feb. 2011.
KK4KQX

Full Service

Info from a supposedly good source says that the 614 moved from PA this evening, headed for Roanoke. Routing should be the Shenandoah district, perhaps via hargerstown and the Lugran. That would seem the most logical route for it to move.

WB

Ptrainman

Ant one know when it should get to Roanoke? I am hoping for Saturday so I can catch it on the way in.
KK4KQX

Full Service

614 is (was) still in the NS yard at Reading PA this evening. A crew was called to take it out of there as a train 069 tonight. I am not sure of the timing of such a move towards Roanoke, but it could well be Saturday before it gets there.
WB

Ptrainman

Dead in tow. Read somewhere else that 614 was in NS Reading yard this morning.
KK4KQX

Forum Admin

moved this thread to general discussion, as it seems to be a hot topic. 

Carry on!
The JREB.org team

Full Service

NS 069, with the C&O 614 dead in tow, departed Harrisburg PA for Hagerstown MD around 2am this morning. They should be in or near Hagerstown now, and will run "down the valley" to Roanoke.

This move should have a 25mph speed restriction on it, meaning it will be taking a long time get anywhere. 
WB

JCagle

From what i am hearing it should be moving again after 6 pm and should take 12-14 hours. Sounds like a
daylight move in Roanoke

Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Ptrainman

Sounds good. The later the better for me, if I am even able to get to Roanoke tomorrow.
KK4KQX

Full Service

The 614 was making progress overnight, and should make it into Roanoke between 9am and Noon Satruday, and perhaps even a bit earlier depending on traffic.
WB

Ptrainman

Any new info? I am leaving for Roanoke now, will post an update when I get there. I am about 2 hours away.
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

As of 1:30 PM 614 is sitting. Beside the coach shed near the East End Shops in Roanoke. Will have pics later.
KK4KQX

E.M. Bell

Glad you found her! We look forward to the pics later.
E.M. Bell, KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY

Ptrainman

The pictures are not the best, they were taken through bridge posts and over other locomotives and equipment. The old coach shed is not very accessible.  I will post the pics when I get home along with some other good catches from the area.
KK4KQX

Ptrainman

Here are the pics of 614. The bell, headlight, numberplate, valve gear linkages, and connecting rods are all removed. VMTs website say 614 is to be on display from Feb. 12 to Apr. 30, at VMT and then it will be move to the C&O Heritage Center.

Hope every one like the pictures,
Paul
KK4KQX

JCagle

I got word tonight that she will be making the move to VTM tomorrow. They will have to turn her before heading into the museum. No word on a time.
Alpha Phi Psi - Tarheel Chapter

Ptrainman

I don't think 614 will run on NS any time soon, if at all, but maybe we will be surprised. I think 614 just got stuck here because it moved over NS trackage to get to Roanoke.
KK4KQX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk