Banner...Both NS AND CSX...?

Started by peachfuzz, February 21, 2009, 12:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peachfuzz

Oh well, the (in)famous trainmaster Eddie Sutton, renowned across multiple divisions for his antics has done it AGAIN.

This time, our hero decided to banner train G82 at the NS/CSX crossing at Oglethrope Georgia.  Mister Wizard thought a signal shunt wire to set the NS signal to red was  a good idea in addition his banner...

Can you say I-n-t-e-r-l-o-c-k-i-n-g...?  I knew you could  ;D

Unfortunately our hero of the rule book wasn't quite up to speed on the effects of his wire on the CTC system of CSX.  The wire caused the crossing to appear occupied to the CSX computer system on the VERY busy Fitzgerald subdivision.  As a result 5 CSX trains were routed to sidings to wait for the NS "to clear" the interlocking. 

Finally, after an extended period of delay, a CSX trainmaster and signal maintainer arrived to determine what the problem was at the crossing.  A fierce tongue lashing of Sutton then ensued as the actual reason for the "signal problems" was discovered.

With entertainment like this, who needs TV...? :D

jcmark4501

Why were 5 trains put into a siding because an interlocker was red? Is this a crossing with a diamond or something else?

peachfuzz

Quote from: jcmark4501 on February 21, 2009, 02:09:57 PM
Why were 5 trains put into a siding because an interlocker was red? Is this a crossing with a diamond or something else?

Yep, NS Albany District, Georgia Division crossing CSX Fitzgerald Subdivision, Jacksonville Division at 90 degrees.  The shunt place to "throw" the NS signal caused the CSX to see a "occupied" indication on their side.  That made it impossible to line signals for CSX trains to move.

TB4JY

I would expect nothing less from Georgia Division management.  We are the trash can for company officials.   ;)

GAandFLA-RR

Fortunately, I've only had to deal with him just a few times while I was in CYO.  But dern, each time was like having an iodine injected thorn thrust in my side.

I almost hung the phone up on him one night after his smartmouth had taken off and hit the stratosphere.  A few nights later one of my former co-workers did and unfortunately paid for it.
Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F
LONG HOOD FORWARD FOREVER

TB4JY

Quote from: GAandFLA-RR on February 26, 2009, 09:25:13 AM

Fortunately, I've only had to deal with him just a few times while I was in CYO.  But dern, each time was like having an iodine injected thorn thrust in my side.

I almost hung the phone up on him one night after his smartmouth had taken off and hit the stratosphere.  A few nights later one of my former co-workers did and unfortunately paid for it.

I never really had many dealings with him myself.  He had been removed as the North-End trainmaster a couple of days before I started.  Something about sexual harassment.  I did get to hear all the story's though.

I guess it was last year sometime, I met him for the first time.  He had come up on my engine on the south end of the forwarding yard in Macon.  Raisin cane with my conductor.   Something about him walking to close to the track.  I don't know as all that had taken place on the off side of the locomotive.  I love it when a trainmaster steps on my engine and the first thing they go for is the ME-65.  What's all that about?  I guess that's all they know about locomotives.  Didn't he have a RFE job up north somewhere????  Got by a red board?  Isn't that right?  I imagine this latest move will get him a promotion.  That's the way it seems to work.

peachfuzz

Quote from: Groundrelay on February 26, 2009, 03:47:10 PM
Quote from: GAandFLA-RR on February 26, 2009, 09:25:13 AM

I never really had many dealings with him myself.  He had been removed as the North-End trainmaster a couple of days before I started.  Something about sexual harassment.  I did get to hear all the story's though.

I guess it was last year sometime, I met him for the first time.  He had come up on my engine on the south end of the forwarding yard in Macon.  Raisin cane with my conductor.   Something about him walking to close to the track.  I don't know as all that had taken place on the off side of the locomotive.  I love it when a trainmaster steps on my engine and the first thing they go for is the ME-65.  What's all that about?  I guess that's all they know about locomotives.  Didn't he have a RFE job up north somewhere????  Got by a red board?  Isn't that right?  I imagine this latest move will get him a promotion.  That's the way it seems to work.

Gather around Nagsters...  For here is the story, all of it.

I first became aware of Eddie "Slick" Sutton back in the 1990's.   He was formerly trainmaster around Selma Alabama when an anonymous letter arrived in Norfolk saying: "Move him, or bury him..."

He was sent to the GS&F North District south out of Macon.  His initial  notoriety was the letter generated about the excessive delay his continuous banner checking of the hot "corporate" intermodal trains.  Instructions were issued about delays to UPS traffic that would not be tolerated.

But that was only the beginning.

Soon after, a Cimmarron Coach (...remember them?) driver began complaining about sexual harrassment from Sutton.  NS ignored the complaints until she involved the EEOC in a sex harassment complaint.

NS sprang into action.  An attractive young female management trainee was sent to the main tower at Brosnan Yard in Macon and our horn dog went after it with a vengeance.   

Sutton was disciplined for violating NS policy on sexual harassment.  He was transferred to the Georgia Division North End district.

At the same time, NS issued a new rule about locking "flip flop" derails in the off position to avoid derailments when track flex would cause the derail to flip up into the derailing position.

Shortly after, Sutton arrived to find train G38 working an industry somewhere around Rome.  Lo and behold, they had not locked the derail per the new rule.  In a move of sheer brilliance, he placed the derail in the "on" position and proceeded to his car to call on the radio to G38's crew.  Unfortunately for him, G38 began moving before he could get to the radio.  Six loads were overturned down the embankment as a result.

Sutton was demoted to Road Foreman and sent to Peru Indiana.  While there, he found an attractive motel clerk at the Motel 6 where the NS crews laid over.  His harassment of this woman resulted in a letter from Motel 6 corporate to NS permanently banning Sutton from any Motel 6 property under threat of prosecution.

Simultaneously to all this was the huge racial discrimination lawsuit from African American employees against Norfolk Southern.  Sutton managed to become one of the principle plaintiffs in this action and received $500, 000 as a result.

NS returned him to the Georgia Division over the Albany and Columbus Districts.  Because of his status in the lawsuit, he is virtually "fireproof" despite several spectacular accidents that have happened during his time at Fort Valley Georgia

-A train from Columbus to Macon failed to release all the handbrakes on their engines.  One Dash 9 was drug the entire distance with a sliding wheel destroying the axle and burning out the traction motor.

-A blind shove incident near Americus Georgia resulted in a cut of car entering a facility and running off the end of the track inside the building.  The resulting derailment knocked the entire building off the foundation and caused it to collapse.  NS was forced to buy the business.

-Another blind shove incident near Albany Georgia shoved an industy's locomotive off the end of the track and into the woods, rolling over multiple times.  The unit was declared a total loss and NS was forced to purchase a replacement.  The industry specifically banned NS from entering the property without an NS officer, OTHER than Sutton, present to supervise NS activities.

-A perishable products warehouse became so enraged with Sutton's "customer relations" skills, they bled the brakes off the cars in their facility and allowed the cars to roll out.  The NS switch lock on their gate was cut off and NS was told to never come on the property ever again.

And of course, we have the latest incident at Oglethorpe detailed above.

Norfolk Southern's most notorious employee...? :o 

TB4JY

I find it funny, yet sick....  That the only way to keep him (and others like him) from screwing things up on the ground is to move him further up the ladder.  That is the problem of NS management. >:(

peachfuzz

Quote from: Groundrelay on February 26, 2009, 05:41:36 PM
I find it funny, yet sick....  That the only way to keep him (and others like him) from screwing things up on the ground is to move him further up the ladder.  That is the problem of NS management. >:(

...he badly wants to retire.  When the last management early out offer was made, he was in Atlanta so often to check on eligibility, Tally warned him if he saw him there again, he better have resignation paperwork in hand!

Has just over a year to go if I heard correctly. ;)

Backyard

8) You know, I have been watching this...I know most venues for his ousting have been exhausted...

However I know that at some of the companies I have temp-worked, even if his aggressive approach to safety actually helped, he'd be gone in a heartbeat by HR for abusing employees...

But that's one of the reasons you are united in a Brotherhood, because of "dastards(that means "evil, mean, sneaking coward")" like this.

Grin & bear-it!
Backyard/Allen

rrman70

That too funny.Reminds of of something that happened a few years ago on the Piedmont Division.GYM Merrit went out to banner Amtrak 19 but did not have his shunt on the track and 19 took out the banner at 70 mph.19's engineer then told Merrit on the radio if he wanted his banner back their next stop was Danville.I love to see the powers that be fall on there face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAandFLA-RR

Quote from: peachfuzz on February 26, 2009, 05:31:11 PM

Gather around Nagsters...  For here is the story, all of it.

I've heard nearly all those stories.....the ones I haven't...........well, doesn't really surprise me coming from him. 

The first (and last) time I met him was when I was working in the depot at Tennille.  He and the Savannah District trainmaster had set the poor utility man up by tying the handbrakes on the rear 5 cars on 688's train just before it left.  688 pulls out onto the mainline, Sutton tells the crew to stop and "demands" to know why the 5 rear handbrakes were not knocked off.  Next thing I know they're bringing the U-Man back to the depot and taking him out of service.  Felt sorry for the poor guy.  After the ordeal I spot Sutton outside combing what little bit of locks he had left on the back of his head............yeah, he looked really proud of himself.

Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F

TB4JY

Did you hear the one about him locking himself inside a shed at Rockmart?

Middle of summer time.  Hot as hell out.  He wants to rule check G34 working Rockmart.  So he hides in this shed.  Some how or another, he gets locked inside and can't get out.  Being the nice ground crew that was on 34.  They heard his cries for help and let him out. 

What was their reward?

They got wrote up for tying up handbrakes from the ground. ::)

Afterwards they said, we should have left his a$$ in there. ;D

GAandFLA-RR

Ha Ha!!  Now that's funny!  A little solitary confinement would have done him good.....
Jared

NS car inspector
Long live the G&F

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk