DPU Questions

Started by TM3358, November 28, 2008, 05:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TM3358

Ok I know all the GEVOs are equiped to run dpus almost all the coal trains that come by here now have them can the units 9212-9226  do the same on the head end and have command units on the rear? Another question is when DPU motors are add do the crews set them up or does someone else have to the reason I ask one of the traains had one of their rear motors go down it was a 94xx unit and they had to swap out at Craig with another train and had a ton of people including TMs and sevier shop with and they were talking about linking them back up to the head endAnd  some of the Dpu trains look they don't have EOTs while others have had the EOTs hanging on the rear do the rear motors function as an EOT or no. And last can other roads like BNSF,UP,CSX run NS motors in DPU operation

rrman70

First,not all of the Es40DC's have the DPU equipment.Next the rear DPU engine is linked to the lead DPU.The rear DPU will do everting the lead unit does unleast the engineer is using the fence on the lead DPU.The fence lets you control the remote independent of the lead units.Topping a hill you can knotch back on the lead,but leave the remotes in 8 till they top the hill.Next the DPU remote is the EOT on a DPU train,the engineer has a brakepipe reading and flow meter reading from the remote unit on the display of the lead,the on exception to this is DPU/ECP trains.The ECP trains  have to have a ECP EOT in order for the ECP brake system to work.Hope this helps out

TM3358

Ok I had been wondering about them for a while now because almost all the coal trains that come in loaded are DPU but anyway thank you for the info

TM3358

Saw coal train 706 tonight with DPU and it had an EOT hanging is there any reason for this??

jcmark4501

Speaking of DPUs, it won't be too much longer until you see them on the CNO&TP. Within months from what I've heard.

TM3358

Quote from: jcmark4501 on January 14, 2009, 12:18:49 PM
Speaking of DPUs, it won't be too much longer until you see them on the CNO&TP. Within months from what I've heard.
Are these going to be on freights or coal/grain or a mix?

rrman70

Is 706 a ECP train?If it is then it has to have  a ECP EOT for the brakes to work.On the ECP system you are forming a close circuit with engines,cars and EOT.If that circuit is not closed the brakes will not release.The other reason could be they run around the train and make it conventional to unload it.I know the 750 and 752 that runs to Belmont NC have to do that.

TM3358

706 here is not an ecp train the last ecp train i saw was a 511 that derailed in knoxville

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk